Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

doulas

Stella is offline Registered User

doulas

I'm having #2 at The Matilda next year with Lucy Lord as obs. I had such a shocker delivery with #1 at a public hospital thatwe are doing everything we can to make sure this one is as good as it can get.
    We are considering using Hulda Thorey as a doula, contacting her as soon as contractions start.
    I feel very comfortable with Hulda, however i would appreciate anyone else's feedback about having a doula throughout the labour.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Sorry I can't help regarding the use of Hulda as a doula, but I had Hulda as a visiting midwife after the birth of my daughter. To cut a long story short, she had all our breastfeeding problems sorted out in one visit and was extremely helpful in other areas. She wasn't any help in helping me get bubs to sleep, but that might just be my wakeful daughter. Hong Kong absolutely needs a "sleep school" like they have in Australia and the UK.

Anyway, getting back on topic, Hulda is excellent.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Doula?

Just a thought...
    At Matilda they have one-on-one care w/ a midwife the whole time your in the hospital, so hiring an extra midiwfe might be "overkill".

I was quite pleased w/ the midwifery care when I had my eldest at Matilda.

Maybe you should visit Matilda & talk w/ the head sister and other midwives and share your concerns and see if forking out the extra $ is worth it.

You might instead want to use it to pay for after-care when you go home.

gumbed is offline Registered User
    We had Hulda for the delivery of our first baby at Matilda earlier this year. Having her there was exceptionally good. We had a long labor (30 hrs), and the fact that she was by our side throughout made it much easier. While it's true Matilda assigns a midwife to you, they are on shift and change every several hours, which was quite frustrating because then we'd have to re-educate each one on our preferences. While the quality of midwives there is generally very high, but there are one or two that we just did not get along with, either personally or bcos of birthing philosophy. Also, Matilda midwives are still hospital midwives, who are oriented to getting done what the gynae wants to get done. Having an independent perspective by Hulda gave us a lot of reassurance that we were doing the right thing for our baby, given our preferences in terms of drugs etc. I think it's a great idea for first births.

fifi is offline Registered User
    I cannot recommend Hulda highly enough. She was with me at home for the first 12 hours of my labour last Wednesday before she took me up to Queen Mary's with my notes. She was a great source of strength and I know I wouldn't have lasted a fraction of that time without her.

I really wish she could have stayed with me at the hospital, but of course their rules don't allow it. Nevertheless, the staff at QMH were exceptional and I could not fault one of them.

If you can afford to have Hulda with you at the Matilda that's fantastic.

newmum2bhk is offline Registered User

Cool

I am also interested in this service, can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs to have Hulda as a doula?

Thanks.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM