Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby constipation

mea
    mea is offline Banned

Question Baby constipation

Hi,

Can anyone help me? My Daughter Jade has just turned 6 months old and is suffering from constipation. She does manage to pass stools but she's in great pain.

I've tried giving her weetabix and fruit juices, it cleared up for a few days but has come back again.

What can i do to help her? I don't want to keep giving her weetabix as she has been passing stools 5 times a day and her little bottom is sore. I don't want to her to pass anymore than she has to. Stools aren't too hard either, so what can i do or give her?

My mum says there's not much i can do as she is managing to do the toilet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lai San is offline Registered User

My daughter has suffered from constipation every now and then since she was a baby. My PD told me that a protein-rich diet causes constipation (versus the conventional theory of the lack of fibre. Though personally I still believe the consumption of sufficient fibre helps a lot). Therefore, babies on formula are particulary prone to the problem.

Try ask your PD whether you can dilute the formula a bit to increase baby's fluid intake. I also make my daughter drink a lot of diluted fruit juices (particulary prune and orange juice). Papaya and vegies work for my daughter as well (you can give your daughter vegies puree as she has turned 6 mos).

My girl is now 17 mos and I have to watch her protein intake carefully by limiting the amount of cheese and yoghurt. Protein from pulses or vegies are okay.

I believe the problem will get better as you gradually add solids to your baby's diet. Good luck!

Karishma is offline Registered User

my son suffered from constipation when he was abt 3 mths and my mom suggested an old housewives remedy 'warm boiled water' abt 4 ounces a day.....helped!!! hes like a clock now!! same time everyday!! wee hee!!

rani is offline Administrator

Fresh papaya and pears work well
    Hope Jade feels better soon.

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

Hi,

This tip is something I got from the baby-care books..and it worked like magic for me. A spoonful or two of well-stewed prunes is supposed to guarantee a bowel movement within 24 hours. I had no trouble feeding my son the prunes..he seemed to like it. I wasn't sure he would eat it but he did and it helped.

mea
    mea is offline Banned

Smile

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I went to see my doctor and was given a liquid laxative that helped her over Xmas. After finishing the weekly supply, she has been fine.

I have noticed however, that if i don't give her weetabix for breakfast, she gets constipated again.

She's now 9 months old and still on breastmilk, i just hope she'll be ok with formula when i finally wean her onto it.

aldougie is offline Registered User

Hi Mea

I am combi-feeding as I'm back at work and my daughter used to get constipated when I first started doing this. I started to drink a glass of prune juice myself every day (and still do) and this in seemed to have a positive effect - not sure why or whether I imagined it or not but you might want to try that as well. Absolutely gross but if it helps in anyway worth doing!

Alison

cindee is offline Registered User

Papaya works wonders for my girl. It hurts to see them constipated and all red in the face. My PD has advised me to not give her banana too. Banana tends to constipate some babies.

And...sometimes when I see that she is having a hard time, I lie her down, remove the top of her diaper, open her legs and then help us get it out. It's not my fave past time but it works....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast