Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Natural Childbirth

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Question Natural Childbirth

Are there Lamaze classes in Hong Kong? If so, does anyone have some contact information? If not, are there any other natural childbirth training programs here? I am not opposed to an epidural etc. but I want to do everything I can to have a natural childbirth without drugs or medical procedures if possible. I haven't had a child yet, so I can't say whether I will be able to do this.

I've read a little about vaginal/perineal massage to help avoid an episiotomy, but if there are any other things you can do to help your body be best prepared for childbirth, I'd love to hear about them.

I'm taking folic acid and we will start trying to conceive in January so if there are any other vitamins or things I should do before getting pregnant that would be great too.

Thanks.
    Last edited by hkgirl; 11-24-2003 at 10:02 AM.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Dif places, dif prices, dif languages

Hi,

Many private hospitals offer pre-natal classes, as well as some private midwives.

In addition to epidural, there are other pain relief options (gas & air, pethidine, etc.).

Go here for some info. on private miwdives.
    http://home.ust.hk/~lbcaplan/hkbb/ho....html#midwives

armstroe is offline Registered User
    It's worth getting your doctor to run a couple of blood tests for various illnesses too - to check your level of immunity. So, if you need to, you can top up your vaccinations before you conceive. This is particularly critical for rubella (or german measles).

Smile Thanks.

I will look into midwives and vaccinations. I just moved from Canada a year and a half ago, so I believe most of my vaccinations are up-to-date. I never thought of checking them though. Thanks for the advice.

visitor is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    Yes, there are other vitamins and minerals you need to consider. Firstly, iron is very importnat and you might want to consider taking a supplement. Vitamin A is also important but in this case it is important thet you do not EXCEED recommmended doses so try to find a supplement with low vitamin A and avoid liver. The right balance of fatty acids is also important. You can achieve this by cutting out corn oil and replacing it with olive or canola oil and eating oliy fish. Then there's fibre. Very importnat as preganant women tend to get constipated.
    I reccommend a book called Before Your Pregnancy that explains all these things in detail.
    I'm going to start trying in Feb so I'm at a similar stage to you and am trying to eat well! I've also stopped smoking and am cutting back on the booze. Arggghh!

Thumbs up Good for You!

That is so good that you've kicked the smoking habit. I smoked years ago and I know it's very difficult to quit. What a great gift to your child (and to yourself)!

I am taking folic acid and calcium now. I was taking a multi-vitamin, but it was bothering my stomach and causing my skin to break out. I eat a lot of vitamin A/beta carotene rich foods, so I think that should be enough to keep me at a healthy level. And in the past month I've started eating only whole grain bread and crackers.

I have the book What to Expect When You're Expecting and it has a good pregnancy diet plan. It's a great book and even though I'm not yet pregnant, I am learning tons of information. It's great to have an idea of what to expect before the changes start happening.

Thanks for the advice and good luck in February!