Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused about Queen Mary

visitor is offline Registered User

Confused about Queen Mary

I have heard you can deliver as a general patient there for $68 a day. Does that include any complications that may arise?
    If you have a semi private room, do you just pay the $2000 per night for the room or do all the other costs necassarily go up as well?

rani is offline Administrator

Visitor,

If you deliver in the general ward, then yes all the procedures and complications are included. However in a private ward they are not.

Here's a detailed list of charges (pre-SARs).

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthr...threadid=88355

A friend of mine had a emergency C-section at QM in a private ward and her bill was close to $60K

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Slee is offline Registered User

Visitor, I just read your other posts and realised that you're not actually pregnant yet. Instead of spending HK$16,000+ on QMH, spend it on some good maternity medical insurance. If you sign up for a UK insurance company's plan now (Allianz, BUPA International, Morgan Price...) then sign up with Dr. Philip Ho you will have to pay him HK$5,000 when you join but will not have to pay any more to him (or a private hospital) until you're 36 weeks at which point the insurance co's 10 month waiting period would be over and they'll get to pay the rest!!!!! I've had a broker look into cover for me, and the prices for someone 26 - 30 start at GBP65 per month.

I had my baby at QMH last year and really hated it so if you can avoid it do!!!

kevin is offline Registered User

Regarding the costs for maternity insurance for someone under 30, expect to pay around US$ 100 – 120+ per month which would give you about US$6,500-8,500 for routine delivery and pre-natal checkups. This would be on a co-insurance basis, you would need to pay 20% of the costs and the company would pay 80% up to the above quoted limits. Premiums are age related so will be higher than this if you are over 30.

Also, depending upon the levels of medical cover required and the area of cover (i.e. elective cover in the USA) this figure may be much higher. Plans vary but there is always a waiting period before you can make any claims. This ranges from 12 months after joining the plan before you can make any maternity claims to having to wait for 12 months before inception so you really do need to plan ahead.

There are several companies offering this type of cover such as Goodhealth (in Hong Kong), William Russell (in UK), BUPA (tends to be much more expensive), and Interglobal (again UK based) to name a few.

If you want any more detailed information or want to talk to someone about the options feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]

Kevin, your facts aren't quite accurate. Most UK insurers have a 10 month waiting period, while Morgan Price have one co-insurance policy that has a waiting period of only three months. Moreover, most don't require co-insurance.

Not sure what insurer Morgan Price are quoting you (as they are brokers) but all of the major ones such as BUPA, William Russell, and Goodhealth all have 10-20% co-insurance and all have waiting periods of 12 months plus before you can make maternity claims or 6 months before conception. Otherwise thay would all go out of business very quickly with all the maternity claims :)

Of course there is no waiting period for other medical claims.

Kevin, I'm sorry but I still disagree with you. The HK branches of medical insurance companies and US insurers have 12 month waiting periods but UK based companies such as BUPA International (c.f. BUPA HK), Allianz etc have 10 month waiting periods and no co-insurance (unless you go for the 3 month waiting period). This information has come from another broker (i.e. not your company) called Medibroker and from reading all the insurers' terms and conditions. If you don't believe me, look on the web as all the companies post their fine print on the net.

BUPA is about the only one that has a lower waiting period (agree about the 10 months, but 10 months? 12 month? whats the difference?) but the rest of their benifits are not really up to the same level as others and the premiums are the higest around with a loading for Hong Kong. Therefore don't tend to use them very much anymore.

Depends at the end of the day what you really want for your money and how much you are willing to spend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast