Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

First birthday party

svasbt is offline Registered User

First birthday party

Hi there!
    Happy New Year everyone!
    I have a question please... My son is turning 1 year old next month. I know he will still know nothing about it, but I still don't want his very First birthday to be so uneventful. Any suggestions from experienced parents would be much appreciated please.
    Thanks so much.

anna is offline Registered User

what to do

i have been asking the same thing to others too (my daughter is 1 this week....a year already, gosh it flies!!)
    I also have been trying to find a good cake receipe that does not involve over laden sugar content (or nuts, honey etc etc) I called a cake shop that advertised 1st bday cakes but they are chocolate......(?)

rani is offline Administrator

Anna,

The book "What to Expect the First Year" has a very healthy recipe for a First bday Cake. I haven't tried it but I've heard its really good. If you can't get hold of the book let me know and I'll post the recipe tonight.

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Rohini is offline Registered User

My son turned 1 in May but due to SARS, I was unable to celebrate his birthday in a big way. When I returned from our dummer break in September, I had a HUGE party for him at the Ronald McDonald House in Sha Tin. All the guests invited were sick children either living at the house or those that had been released. I did everything and spent the same as I would have had I invited all his friends. I ordered food from PizzaBox and made some from home, organized games and prizes, giveaways, lootbags, decor...The best part of the part was seeing the smile on the faces of children who might not be around next year!

Seb's Dad is offline Registered User

We've been to Gymboree for birthday parties if you're willing to spend the money. There is also Dave who runs Chunky Onion, the kids shows that are ideal for birthday parties but best for kids 3+.

For our son's 1st party we video taped all the parents telling us in less than 2 minutes what they remember most about our son's first year of life. Each parent also had their own child say "hello" or wave, depending on where they were at on that particular road! (A few older kids spoke, too!) We ended up with some very funny and touching moments.

Year 1 we had in our flat. Year 2 we had on our building's playground which was a huge success because when the sugar hit (see below) the kids just kept on running until they were spent.

Re: the cake... you can get low fat cake mixes at most stores. For two years now I have made two cakes, plastered them together with icing, carved them up, and then made a fancy design. The kids usually sleep well when they come down from the sugar high. Year 1 was a porcupine (although my wife called it "roadkill") and Year 2 was a police car. (see below)

Step 1: scratch out a design on paper and plan how to build
    Step 2: bake cakes
    Step 3: light icing to glue cakes together
    Step 4: carve cake design with sharp bread knife (save pieces)
    Step 5: use extra pieces for structure (start using icing)
    Step 6: cover cake with icing
    Step 7: fix mistakes with more icing
    Step 8: smooth everything over with hot knife

I usually always saw the top off one cake to make it more flat since they tend to rise in the middle. You can find pre-made icing at most stores, and food colouring at some stores but for sure at Great or Olivers (including tubes for trim.)

Have lots of toys, a video playing, and make several attempts at a group picture... always good for a laugh and you can keep the best shot forever.

Attached Images Attached Images

Police car from the back... after the cakes were baked, from start to finish it took 1.5 hours to complete the car including applying the smarties, trim etc.

And finally the Roadkill... I think the police car hit the porcupine... next year it will be a tow truck. By the way, the kids love the fun cakes (even as bad as this one) so it's a good way to sweeten the party... so to speak!

I know it looks like a lot of sugar for 1 year olds, however, both of our son's birthday parties came with "sugar disclaimers." My experience is that parents will regulate their own child's sugar/cake intake. (Once the cutting began the cake was kept at adult level for that purpose.) As I mentioned earlier, beneath the icing I used a reasonably healthy mix.

Last edited by Seb's Dad; 01-06-2004 at 01:57 AM.

rani is offline Administrator

Seb's Dad,

Thanks for the great advice and for sharing pics of the cakes. I love the police car.

I'm now motivated to bake D cake this year. The only thing its got to be a Barney or Elmo cake, which is not going to be easy.

Last edited by rani; 01-06-2004 at 10:46 AM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast