Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Formula

Jenny is offline Registered User

Formula

Just wondering, about how much formula should a one year old be drinking? My baby seems to have suddenly cut down and I'm worried that he isn't getting enough. Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator
    Jenny,

I think its 20-24 oz a day. So that's 3 bottles a day of 6-8oz. Which formula are you giving him? Our Dr advised us to stick with Enfamil Stage 2 as Stage 3 is a lot sweeter and kids get constipated on it.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Looking back into the misty past (my youngest will turn 6 in 2 weeks!). I think that they took 3 or 4 bottles a day. But once they got past a year, I tried to cut down on the milk or formula and incerase the solid food.

Are you worried that the baby is drinking too much or too little?

We also began to give them some whole milk at that age, to save on the bother of mixing the formula.

svasbt is offline Registered User
    I just saw our PD the other day. She said that after the first year, solids should take priority over milk. As loupou said, she also recommended that we start on whole milk. The minimum intake of milk for toddlers between 12 and 18 months should be 15 oz, with 18 oz. being an average amount.
    I didn't ask the PD about changing the formula to stage 3. But after I saw Rani's post, I think maybe I'll stick to stage 2 for a while. I'd hate to see my boy constipated. Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator
    I just checked Gina Ford's Book on Weaning - min of 12 oz and max of 20 oz a day for a 12mth old.

Svasbt- Did the Dr recommend a specific brand of whole milk?

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

suz
    suz is offline Registered User
    mine is 15 months old and drinks 2 x 8oz bottles everyday - one when she wakes up in the morning and one before she goes to bed.

svasbt is offline Registered User

Whole milk

rani:

The PD didn't recommend any brand of whole milk in particular. She just said try a few, as they all taste a little different and your baby might like one more than the others. she also said that if your baby is very big, see a PD at 15 months as s/he might be able to go on low fat. But never, never skimmed milk. she also recommended that we do not give up on formula completely, as when we go somewhere where the whole milk is questionable, formula is something we want the kid to fall back on.

Our PD is a British-Chinese lady who works for Lucy Lord & associates.

Jenny is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone. Strangely, my PD (Leo Chan) said that now that my son is 1 years old, solids are more of a priority so there is no minimum intake requirement. Strangely my son drank about 20 oz until very recently. Now he will barely finish 12 oz (and its a struggle). My PD also said that the quality of HK milk is not very good and he thinks that formula is better than HK milk. However, the Australian milk is fine. NOt sure why my son is so picky now. He just doesnt seem very interested !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast