Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finger Food

Grace Bellis is offline Registered User

Question Finger Food

My daughter is 7 months and she's been on solid for 1 month. I read that infants may start taking finger food at around 8 months (this is assuming babies starting solid at around 4 months. Apparently, the rules have changed now that it's recommended to start solid around 6 months to minimize allergy). Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your help in advance.

armstroe is offline Registered User
    My daughter is 9 months and I've only just started her on a few finger foods. I have started her with Cheerios (but snapped in half to be on the safe side). Also cooked rice grains and tiny pieces of ripped up wholemeal bread

My elder daughter who started solids at 4 months (in the days before we were advised 6 months) was eating lots more finger foods by this age. Things like grated cheese, raisins, tiny sandwiches, banana (unpeel a banana, stick your finger in the top and split it into it's natural three pieces) and berries.

This time around I don't feel as confident! And I watch her like a hawk while she is feeding herself. You have to check that they don't pack all the food inside their cheeks. Or anything else for that matter. Yesterday I discovered a piece of cardboard off the cereal box in her cheek - and this was after she had eaten all her breakfast. The cardboard had been in there all the time. Yikes!

aldougie is offline Registered User
    I started giving my daughter baby rice at 4 months as she was showing all the signs that she was interested. She is now 8 months old and is getting soft boiled broccolli & carrots, bits of hard boiled eggs (free range and organic), melon, banana and organic rice crackers as her finger foods. I've also started to really thicken up the food that I make her so now the consistency is pretty thick rather than total mush.

Like Armstroe we watch her like a hawk when she's feeding herself as she can be rather hamster like and stuff her cheeks but so far she's doing okay.

Wouldn't recommend raisins - think they are too small and easy to choke on.

Dante is offline Registered User

Eggs

I just took my daughter in for her 12 month check up and asked Dr. Thondup about foods to avoid and he mentioned eggs. As I was working down a list of questions, I did not bother to ask him why not. (I will be going in for a vaccination soon enough so will revist the egg question). In the meantime, what do you moms advise about eggs in the diet.

Dante

Everything I have read has given the okay to eggs as long as the yolks are hard boiled and no hint of softness left. I'm not sure why Thondup has said no to eggs - I'll ask my HV as she works for him. I never use anything other than imported, free range and organic eggs and for the first time since I've been in HK Olivers has sold out so maybe he is saying no to eggs because of bird flu. If I find out anything I will post again.

Dante is offline Registered User
    Aldougie -- Many thanks. I will see Dr. Thondup in about 2 weeks and will follow up again and post any new info.

I saw Yvonne yesterday and she has told me that egg whites can be allergenic in some babies which is why it is now recommended that babies do not get eggs until 1 year old. Luckily my baby is fine so she can continue with her scrambled eggs!

cindee is offline Registered User
    I've also been advised to avoid eggs until my baby is 1 year old. She's 7 and a half now. I am thinking of letting her start on some finger food soon. I have read that frozen bagels are good for them to just get at the crust. Also try some rice crackers..they melt in the mouth.
    I will be watching her like a hawk too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast