Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

first time mum and first cold

Jam
    Jam is offline Registered User

Unhappy first time mum and first cold

Hello,
    Samuel has got his first cold..aghh heart breaking. I took him to the docs with a running nose and a cough. I was very worried because he caught the cold from his father who eventualy ended up with a chest infection.
    Samuel has been given 3 kinds of meds, one for phelm, one for cough and sneezing and the paracetamal. His cold is only in the first stages and he does not have a fever so im just giving him the cough meds which makes him drowzy. I really dont like giving it to him as he is only four and half months. Am I doing the right thing?

armstroe is offline Registered User
    Even second time mums feel unsure about cold treatments!

It sounds like a lot of medicine for a 4.5mth old, but I'm not a doctor so couldn't advise on this. No-one really likes giving young babies any medicine, but if you expressed your concerns to your doctor I'm sure they would explain the significance of each treatment.

If you are feeling really uneasy about this treatment, seek out another doctor's opinion as well.

Shirley is offline Registered User
    Hi Jam
    My daughter first caught her cold when she was 3 months old and was given paracetomol suspension & nose drops (we were living in London then). They both helped even though it lasted about 2 weeks. I would suggest you use a blanket and make it into a pillow (low rise) so that he can breathe easily when sleeping and try to give him cooled boiled water. (I know you're not suppose to use a pillow under 1 year old but it does help. Take it away once he is better). If he isn't coughing that badly don't give him the medicine.

Hope he gets better soon.

loraine is offline Registered User
    If you do try a pillow, put it under the mattress, this way you won't have to worry about the at risk of smothering (since pillows are not advised for kids under 1 year)

Jam
    Jam is offline Registered User

Wink first cold

thankyou for all your support.

my son seems to have recoverd in leaps and bounds. I only gave him the cough mixture and gave him warm baths during the day, this helped him to rest. I used a nose suction thingy to remove the blockages and a saline water spray which works like a dream!
    Guess who is sick now!!!!!
    thnks again.
    Last edited by rani; 03-01-2004 at 01:55 PM.