Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

French or Spanish

che
    che is offline Registered User

Question French or Spanish

I want my child to learn one more languge other that Chinese and English. French or Spanish - which one is more useful? Please advise.

svasbt is offline Registered User
    My family is bilingual; English and Spanish. Decades ago when I went to enroll for a French class in school, the French division head told me not to. He told me to go study something else, as being a native Spanish speaker, I should be able to pick up French in no time and with not much effort. He was right.

I think you can use Spanish more in the States and around the world, though the definition of "Spanish" is quite different. I speak "Castellano" which is the official language of Spain, but I had difficulties understanding Spanish-speaking friends from some Central and South American countries.

Knowing Spanish, I can more or less understand Italian and Portuguese. More or less, that is.

In Asia, I'm not sure. There are tons of French speakers here. I think it depends on where you will live eventually. We will be here for a while, and I'm hoping that my son will soon pick up Cantonese.

It's always great to know another language. Whatever it is.

suz
    suz is offline Registered User
    che:

I agree with svasbt - tho I started learning French when I was about 6. picked up spanish when I did O Levels and never went beyond that. Personally, I think Spanish is more useful as it is quite easy to pick up Italian and Portugese, and you can get around more easily in South America / Wurope. 15-20 years ago, no-one in Paris / France spoke any English, but now, you can get by ok in France speaking English so not knowing French is not a problem any more. But French is such a romantic language I find.......

If my babe is up to it, I may consider let her learn latin.........

suz

che
    che is offline Registered User
    thanks for your advice.

svasbt is offline Registered User
    suz:

My Mama understands Latin as it was compulsory when she went to school. And honestly, the only time she understands something that we kids don't is in church! Not much use really. I had to attend some Latino classes in elementary, and boy... it was painful. And we speak Spanish! Latin is a very difficult language, maybe that's why is's almost dead.

With her knowledge of Latin, I still don't think my Mom can pick up Italian and Portuguese better than her kids can. She seems to understand some Greek though. Some only.

I totally agree with you that French is such a romantic language. But so is Spanish... DOn't you think?

:lovedface

rani is offline Administrator
    I would have to say Spanish too. I took lessons a few years ago and it sure was useful when we travelled to Italy and Spain.

And yes it is a romantic language, especially when Antonio Banderas and Enrique Iglesias speak :lovedface
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Cyndi is offline Registered User
    I'm keen for my baby to learn Spanish too. I think it is most widely used language after English and it certainly sounds nice!

When can they start learning language and Where?

suz
    suz is offline Registered User
    svasbt: yes Spanish is romantic too, but personally I prefer French, perhaps it's because I was exposed to the language when I was very young........ :-) :-) :-):-):-)

re: latin - I hated latin lessons too, but come to think of it, it is quite useful, esp when you need to learn proper names in subjects like biology etc ..... it's just something I am pondering - not necessarily require my little one to learn it......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast