Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Back Pack Carriers

aldougie is offline Registered User

Baby Back Pack Carriers

Calla has pretty much outgrown her Baby Bjorn and we want to get a back pack carrier for her as it's such a hassle with a pram in HK. Is anyone using one, and, if so what make would you recommend?

TNO
    TNO is offline Registered User

backpackin' mama

Calla is such a pretty name. I can recommend the Deuter Kid Comfort II. I did a lot of research online and the Deuter and Kelty brands came out tops. They are both manufacturers of backpacks rather than toy companies that make carriers.

The Deuter appealed because it has a very easy height adjustment -- papa is 6'3 and I am 5'5! Grandpa, who is an avid mountaineer (and I do mean serious mountains) was very impressed with the pack. The Deuter has proved to be everything we had hoped -- we use it for lazy strolls and serious trail hikes. Baby loves to be able to see everything, and to be able to pull everybody's hair! Deuter has a good website - you can check out the diagram of the frame and the ventilation system - appealing given the heat and humidity. I know several other HK-based parents that have bought the pack after seeing ours.

Retailer in HK is ProTrek - there is one on Hennessy Road at the Admiralty end near the Kebab shop (look for the large Kebab sign!) . Call ahead - they sell very quickly.

Happy trails,

aldougie is offline Registered User
    TNO

Thanks for replying. Husband has gone down to the Protec shop this afternoon to check the carrier out (although think he's just gone sports shopping actually!). Much appreciated as we would never have known about this brand.

ozmaofoz is offline Registered User

Slings

Not to get off-topic, but we have a backpack hiking carrier and we love it, but I've ended up just using a simple unpadded sling with rings almost every day with my big nearly year old son. I almost never used it with my son before we got here from the States (a month ago), but I've found that it's very comfortable with a little practice and takes up very little space when we get to wherever we're going. After a month of using it every day, I've really figured out how to use it comfortably and my son will even sleep in it. It's been a lifesaver.

I see a lot of Indonesian nannies using a sling with their charges, even big kids! comfortably. Our hiking backpack will likely be for hiking and long trips. For a quick ride on the MTR or sightseeing, we'll use the sling as long as we can.

Does anyone know where to get an unpadded ring sling in HK? Like the Maya Wrap?My sling is a Maya Wrap type. I've only ever seen the NoJo padded sling at Toys R Us. I'm also in search of the traditional Chinese baby back carrier that ties criss-cross over the front, if anyone has any ideas of how I can find one.

Sorry to ramble! Hope you find a backpack you like!

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I know the La Leche League in Hong Kong sell the Maya slings. I'm sure you can find their contact details by searching on the web.

rani is offline Administrator
    Here's their contact info

http://www.geobaby.com/Baby_Slings_L369

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com