Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Mandarin speaking playgroup?

momo is offline Registered User
    Zee, what is the telephone number of Art Plus ?

Val, do you know anyone who has attended either ChizPlay or My Gym and any comments on either one ? I have tried Gymboroo with my son when he was much younger but did not find it to be particularly interesting. Also has anyone heard anything about Panda Junction at Lippo Centre ?

val
    val is offline Registered User
    momo, I had a trial class at gymboree and childzplay. Childzplay has a smaller group ... so more focus. But the facilities in gymboree is better. But my girl was only 11mth at that time. I think it's better if I join the gym class when she can run. In the mean time, I just take her to the park.

My friends prefers gymbaroo or myGym. But they are both in Central. If your child is over 2, I'd recommend myGym. The facilities is good and spacious.

momo is offline Registered User
    Apart from monetary point of view, is there any difference between My Gym and a playground where my son can play with swings, slides etc. I just wonder whether there is any real gain in signing up and paying for play activities where one can get fro free at a playground?

val
    val is offline Registered User
    momo,

dunno. I hvn't tried myGym yet. But I guess the major differences between any gym and the park is :-
    1) safe and clean facilities
    2) meeting the same group of kids every week
    3) guidance of the instructors
    4) songs and massage

But it's costly and you can only go at the fixed time. Park is free and you'd go any time.

Hope the answer helps. But the best way is to take a trail class with you little one. You can decide whether gym class worth the money and time.

Zee
    Zee is offline Registered User
    Hi Momo,

Arts Plus' contact is 28070208 or http://www.artsplus.com.hk/

On top of Val's comments, a faciliated environment has more age appropriate equipments. Besides that, the instructors are trained to provide activities that are appropriate for the toddler's development. The activies are often challenging and safe. Playing in a neighbourhood playground has obvious advantages too. I noticed that my daughter learnt a lot by observing older kids. Only thing is that you need to watch your daughter closely as bigger kids can a little rough at play.

My daughter went for trial sessions at Gymboree and Tumble Tots (not the centres in HK). She liked Tumble Tots. She keeps telling me to take her back to Tumble Tots and not the current gym course she is in. Too bad the Tumble Tots in HK does not hold regular classes. They say they will call me if there is a new class but it has been 3 months now and I have not heard from them.

As Val said, most places offer trial sessions. Just give them a call first.

cc97 is offline Registered User
    I just join this forum. Thanks for the info. I went to my Musikbox this morning. They have a very nice centre. The charge is reasonable at $1,480 (8 classes). The teachers are excellent. I will have my 3-year old enroll.

lucinda_k is offline Registered User

Mandarin for Munchkins

There is a school called Mandarin for Munchkins . Its different from others (and there really aren't that many good quality ones around) in that the classes are very, very exclusive -- either one-on-one or in groups of no more than 3 kids. This means that each class is designed and can be modified to suit the learning patterns of the group, their interest, concentration levels or whatever.

The best bit is that its taught in your (or the other kids' homes) AND its total immersion -- no adults present in the class -- i.e. no parent or helper (unless you sign up for their parent/child classes) so there is no possibility of reverting to the language you're famiiliar with.

My son just turned 2 and he's started on the classes. Before that I sent him to Tutortime, which didn't work out. Helpers and parents in the class with the kids continued to use English with their children (because they didn't speak Mandarin). It didn't make for a conducive learning environment. And I think the programme wasn't suitable for that age group because it followed a very rigid pattern and didn't change even if the children were screaming and crying from boredom. My son is much more receptive in this new class. As are the other two kids (one also 2, and the other 19 months). After the second class the other two year old starting to repeat the Mandarin sounds already. My son, though not attempting to speak yet, is listening in rapt attention -- HUGE for him cos he cannot, will not, and never sits still. The group only signed up for a two-month trial but we will be continuing with them.

You can contact the teacher -- Kate, to find out more. Her email is [email protected].

Hope that helps!

rani is offline Administrator
    Lucinda,

Thanks so much for the info! And Happy Birthday Elijah!

Could you give us an idea how much Kate charges?

Thanks
    Rani

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast