Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice Needed - taking bub to HK

EJMum is offline Registered User

Question Advice Needed - taking bub to HK

Hi All

I glad I found this site. I'm from Sydney Australia and we are taking a holiday in HKG with DS -18mths old. I have so many questions regarding how to handle bub when he's over there so hope u can all help.

Q1. Is it OK just to give him boiled water with his toddler formula or do most people in HK use bottled water ?

Q2. Which are the best nappies, we use Huggies here ?

Q3. Will taking a stroller out on the streets & MTR be difficult ?

Q4. Do you have Heinz baby food for toddlers ( always good to have on hand if he doesn't want our food) ? We have a tinned range for 1year old onwards which isn't as mushy as the younger baby food range.

Q5. Can people recommend some baby friendly restaurants.

This will be our first trip away with bub so I'm a bit anxious. Hope you can help me out.

Thanks
    EJ's Mum
    DS Ethan James 20/10/02

val23 is offline Registered User
    Hello, welcome to HKG.

We use bottled water here either mineral or distilled. It's much safer. As for diapers, the best ones to my opinion are Huggies Ultra Comfort and Pampers Premium although Pampers seem to leak at times. As for MTRs, not all MTRs have an elevator or escalator in all their exits. Make sure you choose your exits before leaving the MTR turnstile. As for restaurants, almost all are always full and noisy unless you go the really upscale ones. So it will be best to have your lunches and dinners before the rush hour. Most restaurants have high chairs so it won't be a problem.

val23 is offline Registered User
    Hello, welcome to HKG.

We use bottled water here either mineral or distilled. It's much safer. As for diapers, the best ones to my opinion are Huggies Ultra Comfort and Pampers Premium although Pampers seem to leak at times. As for MTRs, not all MTRs have an elevator or escalator in all their exits. Make sure you choose your exits before leaving the MTR turnstile. As for restaurants, almost all are always full and noisy unless you go the really upscale ones. So it will be best to have your lunches and dinners before the rush hour. Most restaurants have high chairs so it won't be a problem.

armstroe is offline Registered User
    For once there are things better here than in Sydney!

Baby food: You can get an amazing range of organic baby food at the supermarkets. Leaves the Heinz range for dead. Either "Organix" (Park'n'Shop) and "Earth's Best" (Wellcome). However, for Earth's Best, it is still mostly mushy, and the Organix at Park'n'Shop usually does the 4mths and then 9mths range.

If you find Bumps 2 Babes in Pedder St, above Shanghai Tang in Central, they have an even better range of Organix, right up to toddler.

Nappies: Agree with Val23, I use the Huggies in the red pack, much better than what I ever use back on hols in Oz. Pampers Baby Dry (the ones made in China) are brilliant too, you can find these at Park'nShop

Restaurants: For basic kids places that give away balloons and colouring in stuff, Ruby Tuesday in Ocean Terminal at TST, or Dan Ryans, also in TST or Pacific Place. For a nice family Sunday lunch, try Cafe Deco at the Peak.

cindee is offline Registered User
    Welcome to HK.
    You will find that it's not as convenient to take a stroller out here in HK. Many of us wear baby bjorns or any other type of baby carrier, leaves us with two free hands to do other stuff.
    I've recently discovered IFC mall. It's extremely stroller friendly, has a mothers room and some restaurants that are baby/toddler friendly. There is also a supermarket there where you can get organic baby food.
    Diapers - I use pampers for my 9 month old. Works fine :-)

Hope you'll enjoy HK.

rani is offline Administrator
    EJMum,

Do bring a light-weight stroller. Carrying an 18-mth in a sling all day will be exhausting.

We used cooled boiled water for formula.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Marta is offline Registered User
    Look at the webpage: www.hkwithkids.com
    there are some good ideas