Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper annual leave

munchkin is offline Registered User
    pok fu lam

Question Helper annual leave

We are sending our helper back to the Philippines on leave for 3 months as we going aboard on holiday. My helper has requested a letter for her to carry with her passport just in case Immigration questions her upon her return to HK. Does anyone know of a pro forma?

In addition we are only paying for part of the leave. She has only worked with us for 5 months so she is not even entitled to annual leave. Can we treat this as annual leave in advance so that after her 12 months we don't have to provide paid annual leave?

armstroe is offline Registered User
    You are being very generous! And yes, you should treat this as her annual leave. Some companies I've worked for have done this - enforcing a christmas holiday and counting it as your annual leave.

Also good to make sure that she understands if this is a one-off (the three month break). You don't want this setting a precedent if it isn't your plan to do this every year.

For our last helper we did letters every time she went back. I think it's just a precaution. Basically the letter said the helper named was our employee and was leaving on X date and returning on Y date.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong

To avoid any confusion later, I would also get her to sign a document confirming receipt of the ticket and also annual leave that you have agreed on.

Founder of GeoBaby.Com