Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Child feigning sickness

armstroe is offline Registered User

Unhappy Child feigning sickness

I'm at my wits end. For the last few months, sporadically, my 6.5 yr old complains about being ill either just before she is leaving the house to go to school, or when she is at school (the school nurse and I are almost best friends now).

Usually the illness is forgotten within an hour and she is back to being her bright and active self.

I've had her checked out by several doctors. They've probed for any emotional source, but seem to think that there is not one. Her teacher and I have also looked for any problems at school, but there isn't one. She's happy, well-liked and does well at her work.

Lately it's escalated to include having to go the toilet a lot. This started when we went to see Scooby Doo 2 and had to leave almost as soon as the credits began. I know she got scared, she knows that is the reason too, but still the issue persists.

Has anyone else had this problem with a school-age child? And what were your strategies to deal with this?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've got her at home again today, but she has been told this means staying in bed without the light on and not playing or reading.

meenu is offline Registered User
    southern district

feigning illness

Dear Armstroe,

I am a mother of a 4 yr old son. Does this happen only when she has to go to the school? Is she scared of someting about the school. Does she have friends at school or how is her teacher at school? Did you ever talk to her teacher about this?

We have a full -time maid starting this last month. Earlier I used to have a part-time helper who would leave as soon as I would come home and then I would take him to the parketc. But now I ask my helper to take him. Since 1 week my son has started telling me not to go to work. Sometimes at night he talks in his sleep and says the same thing. I am very certain that my maid is ok with him but still have I have become more careful and try to keep a check in whatever way I can.

I just urge you to find out more about her school enviornment as per your daughter.

Best Regards,