Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homebirth

benjy is offline Banned

Question Homebirth

Dear All,

I am expecting my second child and would be very interested to give birth at home.
    As anyone of you already delivered at home?
    How did it go? With which midwife did you do it?

Thanks in advance.
    Benjy

Last edited by benjy; 08-11-2004 at 12:17 PM.

rani is offline Administrator

I don't think the HK Health System supports homebirths. As far as I know you have to deliver in a hospital.

Of course its up to you if want to labor at home. Here's an amazing birth story.

http://www.geobaby.com/Birth-Story-a...-Hospital_L424

Rani

benjy is offline Banned

Thanks Rani for the birth story.
    However, I'm surprised that nothing more is done for homedelivery (especially that it's not so rare in the UK as far as I know..).
    anyway...
    Benjy

Ringmaster is offline Registered User

Dear Benjy,
    I have heard that it is very hard to get information on homebirths in HK. They do happen, but often they are accidental and not the planned variety. You might want to start by calling some midwives in HK such as Everdawn 9417-6366 (Mrs. Chee) or Annerley Midwives 2983-1558 (Hulda). They would be likely to share any info they have with you. While it is true that the system does not support homebirths here, there may be legal ways of doing it. In Singapore where it was thought to be technically illegal, several of my friends researched it and discovered that if they had a certified midwife attending, as well as a registered Dr. overseeing, then it was ok. Perhaps the same is true here? Many people there flew in a midwife from Australia, UK, USA for the delivery.

Do share whatever you dig up, if you don't mind - I'd love to have the facts.

Best of luck to you!

HKFooey is offline Banned

I just posted a reply to this and id dissapeared into the ether.

Anyway I agree with Ringmaster, phone Hulda Thorley at Annerley. She has been doing some research into setting up homebirth facilities in HK.

Please let us know how you get on

JennyB is offline Registered User

I did antenatal classes with Hulda a few months ago and she said homebirth was illegal in Hong Kong. It might be worth checking periodically in case there is any change in the law. But I also heard of somebody recently being investigated by the police because they had a homebirth accidentally (the baby boy came too quickly) and there was some suggestion that the police were concerned about infanticide if the baby had been a girl! That sheds a different light on the debate doesn't it? Still, a registration system would solve that problem, and I don't know how likely that is to happen.

The next best thing to a homebirth is to either hire a midwife (such as Hulda) to supervise your labour at home until such time as she deems it necessary to go to hospital - obviously a waste of time if your first baby arrived very quickly - or find a hospital which supports your wish to make the delivery room as homely as possible.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Homebirth not illegal

Home birth is NOT illegal in Hong Kong. They are just hard to get because the midwives find it hard to get a Dr. to back them up (insurance issues?).

For example, on the list of maternity medical benefits from my personnel office "home confinement" *is* listed. (only HK$ 2,610... but that's another issue).

I believe Mrs. Chee does home births.

From what I understand, according to the laws of Hong Kong, a registered midwife can also open up and run her own maternity home. Chapter 165 "HOSPITALS, NURSING HOMES AND MATERNITY HOMES REGISTRATION ORDINANCE"
    http://www.justice.gov.hk/blis_ind.n...d?OpenDocument

The last private maternity home closed in HK in 1986. I think it closed because it was no longer economically viable - competing w/ the very low cost government services and the high status high tech private hospitals.

Considering how worrying issues like SARS and bird flu are now, I wouldn't be surprised if a lying-in or birth centre might become popular in HK again.

Also, in Taiwan zuo yuezi centres are very popular for women "doing the month" after the birth.

benjy is offline Banned

thanks for the answers!

Hello Everybody!

Thanks everyone for the responses and sorry for the very late answer....

Homebirht is not illegal but just not recommended by regular OB.. probably due to $ reasons and the common belief that women are not able to deliver by themselves anymore

so one way to do it is just by pretending it was an 'accident'...and there are indeed at least 2 midwifes in HK who may do it..the most important being your faith in your own body..

benjy

Last edited by benjy; 10-13-2004 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top