Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

earrings on baby girls-their choice??

sharonwong is offline Registered User

earrings on baby girls-their choice??

what age would be safe or appropriate?

do you think we should let our kids (at a later age) decide themselves whether they want them or not instead of us dictating it?? it is their body after all. i didn't think much of this until a friend mentioned it. some cultures have babies pierce as young as a couple months old.

my daughter is almost 8 months

aldougie is offline Registered User
    My own opinion is that a child should be able to make up their own minds about having their ears pierced be they boy or girl and I don't mean when they are 8 or 9 either. I would expect that my daughter will want her ears pierced but she will have to wait until she's a teenager.

It is cultural but at the same time I believe it is a social thing as well as you will see many youngsters in the UK with their ears pierced and I have friends who had their babies ears pierced at a very young age.

sharonwong is offline Registered User
    tks aldoulgie. i think body or ear (anything other than the normal one hole piercing) has to be decided by the child. i wouldn't allow body piercing really! but i may change my mind. double or triple hole piercing and one at top ear i will allow probably at teenage. there's alot of peer pressure amongst kids these days so for that i may change my mind as well... i will allow them as early as 10 or 11 to get double ear piercing. i don't see anything wrong with that.

when they are infants it's almost like rushing them into puberty. they are so pure and innocent...it feels like piercing is a way of interupting her well-being. doing something unnatural!

i love to dazzle her with some jewls so i'm sitting on it. she is so far my only daughter.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I agree with what's been said already. My parents made me wait until I was 14 to get my ears pierced, but even then I didn't take good care of them and they got infected. I didn't get them re-pierced until I was 18. I will wait until Maya is older before letting her do it, probably, like me, until she's 14.
    All the best,
    Katie