Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby supply advice

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Question baby supply advice

I'm pregnant - Yay!!! I just had my first ultrasound today and our baby was moving around lots.

I'm going to be home in Canada this summer for a vacation. As this is our first baby, I'm wondering if anyone has advice about what products I should buy while in Canada. Is there anything that is hard to get or expensive in Hong Kong that I should pick-up? I will be breastfeeding so I won't buy formula, which I know is very costly in Hong Kong.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

ctrbabe1 Guest

Congrats on the pregnancy! I moved to HK with a 4 month old and was pretty much able to find everything I needed here. The only thing I can think of is if there is a particular brand of bottles you like (if you ever need to pump) and possibly a pump. But I know they have them here, as well. Other than that, if you want to get a baby carrier or sling or something, it might be less expensive in Canada.

suzannacsn is offline Registered User

Congrates!!!! I find the books very expensive in HK. You are right about breastfeeding. Don't have the formula ready by your side or you will tend to switch to formula feeding, coz BF is never easy at the beginning. Especially when you have lots of relatives around who are eager to offer you "HELP".

svasbt is offline Registered User

hkgirl:

Congratulations! Hope you have a nice summer back home.

We returned to Hong Kong from Canada when our son was almost 7 months old. While in Canada, I tried practically every brand of diapers on the shelves, and decided to stick with Pampers Baby Dry. I checked with Gateway store in HKG, and they confirmed that they carried the brand. When we got here, we realized that their Pampers were made in Asia and were not of the same quality. We were very disappointed. But with diapers, you probably have to try them on an individual baby to see what suits him/her best. I wouldn't recommend buying loads of them in advance in case you don't like them. However, I found that Huggies Newborn was the best size for my little 6 lb. 6 oz. baby. Most other brands were too big.

We also got our Jeep jogger-stroller from Walmart. It was C$160++ last year. I never see them sold in HKG. Toys R' Us carries the regular Jeep one but sells at around 35% more expensive.

We got our high chair from Safeway.

We actually bought a lot of clothes from Baby Gap when it had the big summer sale, only to realize that we could find the same things and cheaper at Stanley!

Have fun shopping and looking around.

rani is offline Administrator

Don't forget you can shop for inexpensive books online thru GeoBaby!

http://shop.geobaby.com

Last edited by rani; 05-24-2004 at 05:00 PM.

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and check out some prices on things before I leave for Canada. That way I can comparison shop when we get there.