Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

changing to married name

JennyB is offline Registered User

changing to married name

I got married 2 years ago but didn't change my surname. However recently I have been considering it due to the birth of our baby (now 5 months old); it just feels right for us all to have the same name, and I am sure it would avoid a lot of confusion for others.

I would be interested to hear from women with kids who either (1) kept their maiden name and are glad they did, or (2) changed their name in Hong Kong and have some advice about what order to go about doing things, e.g. passport before ID card before bank accounts, etc. I'm a permanent resident so would need to go to Immigration to get stamp put in new passport. I'm also concerned about whether the deeds to our flat would have to be altered and having to pay Stamp Duty again!

sharonwong is offline Registered User

good topic. you beat me to it! i am in the same situation. we were married 5 yrs ago in hk. i am assuming that my name was not changed during signing of the marriage certificate either because there was no automatic change of surnames in hk as many locals keep their maiden names as part of the culture or b/c the officier had failed to advise us of the choice. since then we've moved back to new york and changing name here is a hassel. the institutions in ny do not recognize any foreign marriage certificates. we would have to be remarried (hold a 2nd ceremony). at the time of signing the certificate you have a choice to do the change then. in hk i didn't notice anything like that (or i was just too nervous)!

you're right.... i don't feel like we're a complete family when my name is different than my husband or my children. especially when we go through customs at the airport and we go to the booth as a family but we have different names. anyway my husband had asked me several times if i was to do so.

anyway when i do move back to hk i will go to immigrations and marriage registration to seize this change. i'm assuming it will be easier since the certificate was issued in hk. i don't know how complicated that will be all together...

in the states i have banks, credit cards etc...all in my married name (they were able to make changes without proof). only official documents is where i have my maiden name. when i do have it changed hopefully in hk, passport will be done first then HK ID (b/c they will need either one of these for processing bank and others).

if you find out anything please let me know

Last edited by sharonwong; 05-19-2004 at 02:56 AM.

HKFooey is offline Banned

I changed my name while pregnant with my son. I wanted us all to have the same name and my husband is very conservative about such things.

It is really quite straight forward. In fact when I went to the Immigration Department the officer said it was great to meet someone who was sooooooo happy to be married.

You need to do your Passport first and then go to the Immigration Department. Once you have your new ID card it is very straight forward to change your other details as you keep the same ID card number.

Do not be put off it really is very easy

loupou is offline Baby Guru

kept name

I kept my name. I like it; all my qualifications are in it; and there was no huge cultural imperative from my in-laws to keep it (my m-i-l still has her maiden name on her HKID). Changing passport, i.d.s, bank accounts, etc.: what a hassle.

However, socially I go by my husband's family name, which is also the family name of my kids. I am "Mrs so-and-so" to their teachers, to the neighbors, the doctors, etc. No problem. In my life I play many roles and "Mrs so-and-so" is one of them, as well as my professional, legal and financial roles as "Ms. something-else".

Joyce is offline Registered User

I feel the same as loupou. Changing names is not an issue for me. I'm still married whether I take my husband's name or not. It might be a cultural thing.......the local chinese don't tend to make a big deal of changing names though chinese friends abroad all changed theirs........

My passport is in my married name (I changed it before I returned to HK) but my ID is in my maiden name. But I spoke to an immigration officer about the problems I had in having to buy plane tickets in my married name and using my ID to check out of HK sometimes caused a bit of confusion with customs. All he did was to update my details on the computer, that way when I check out of HK, customs officers see my married and maiden name on screen.

rani is offline Administrator

I haven't changed my name either. Kinda like it :lovedface

Btw Moms who haven't changed their names, if you're traveling alone without the Dads, remember to carry a copy of your child's birth certificate. Sometimes the airlines ask to see it when checking-in, especially when traveling to countries where child kidnapping is a problem i.e. Philippines.

sharonwong is offline Registered User

i see it both ways. i myself have credentials and in changing to my husband's name i will then need to build that up again. i feel it's necessary to keep names on all documents unified so there won't be possible confusion in addition i feel like it's an identity issue ....to keep myself feeling more collective and the entire family as one.