Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

paediatricians in Discovery Bay

jools is offline Registered User

paediatricians in Discovery Bay

Hello everyone,
    We have now moved out of the hotel that we were staying in when we arrived, hooray and now live on Discovery Bay.
    I need to find a paediatrician for my 19 month old son and my baby who is expected to arrive on 22nd June. Does any one have any advice or information about the doctors on Discovery Bay,
    Thank you

Jools

jane01 is offline Registered User
    In DB, I think there are just 2 medical centres:

1. Island Health - there is a lovely paed there, Dr Ou. Also, Island Health do "Well Baby packages" where you pay around HK$4,000 to join the scheme and get the first years vaccinations, a six month check up with Dr Ou, 6 visits to the midwife and I think an eyesight test at 18 months. The midwife is Hulda Thorley from Annerley midwives who is excellent. My only gripe with Island Health is the disorganised receptionists.

2. DB Medical Centre - I don't think has a dedicated pead, but all the drs are very experienced with babies and children, as you can imagine in a medical centre based in DB. It also has a lovely midwife. We see Dr Shirley Chen who is incredibly thorough and caring.

Welcome to DB !

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Also happy with Dr Chen - she is gentle with needles (least crying for baby injections) plus my internal examinations!

If you'd prefer an expat doctor, Dr Oliver is English and very popular but harder to get appointments with. Dr Bramley at Island Health is Canadian and also recommended but more expensive.

Stella is offline Registered User
    We absolutely love Dr Ou & Dr Bramley. when our 2 week old son had a temperature of 38.1 together they took excellent care of him. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Also Dr Ou was present when our son was born.
    They are also great with injections, fast, and when you need two, they use two peopel so there is only one jab of pain (in two butt cheeks)!
    Dr Bramley has excellent follow up and really understands what it's like to be an ex-pat, particularly if you have a husband who travels. She will follow up with a phone call, just to see how your child is doing.
    Also she's just written a great book about children and what food they should have. it's based on her experience as a doctor.
    You can't go wrong with these two women!
    Adding to what jane01 said, the well baby clinic by Hulda Thorey is also fabulous. Hulda was great with me when we had problems feeding. Altogether great staff.

svasbt is offline Registered User
    Our son goes to Island Health, initially seeing Dr. Bramley, then Dr. Ou, and sometimes Dr. Siu. I would have to say that Dr. Bramley is very good, though she misdiagnosed me once in a BIG way. I personally adore Dr. Ou and think she's a great P.D. Dr. Bramley and Dr. Siu are G.P.s, but they have a few children each and know how to treat children very well. Overall satisfaction with this clinic is 90%. Good luck.

jools is offline Registered User

Paediatricians in DB

Dear All,
    Thanks very much for your advice; all is alot clearer now. I'm sure once we have settled in properly I will be less concerned about everything, at the moment everything seems so different.

Jools