Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice on feeding

Michelle KH is offline Registered User

Wink Advice on feeding

My son Iain, is just 2 month old and I am having huge problems in feeding him. Iain is a very sleepy baby, and he tends to fall asleep while feeding (both breastfeeding or the bottle). I need to wake him up several times before he is completely satisfied. As he is a very large baby, weight 15 pounds now (just 2 month old), most feeds will last more than an hour long each time, and by the time he finishes he will be hungry in 2 hours time.

The daytime feed is relatively OK although I would like him to be fed at longer interval but his night feed is causing real problems as I will need to return to work next week. With waking up every two hours, I am feeling exhausted and with returning to work soon I am quite worried if I could cope.

Anyone has any idea how I could train him to sleep better at night and eating better?

armstroe is offline Registered User
    Hi Michelle

My youngest daughter was exactly the same. I was constantly feeding her. Babies have such tiny stomachs that they are always feeling hungry in the beginning.

To cope I would try and do as many feeds as possible lying down, so I could sleep/rest as well. Magically at about 10 weeks her night feeds started to stretch out to 4-5 hrs, but her dayfeeds were every 1-2hrs apart. My strategy was to feed her as much as I could during the day so she wouldn't want as much food at night.

It's hard when you have a sleepy baby though. When he falls asleep during a feed, how long is it before he wakes? Take heart that he will be able to go longer and get more satisfying feeds in one go, very soon.

I was very worried about returning to work and coping with a hungry baby. In fact, I resigned the day I returned from maternity leave and I was very fortunate to be able to serve my notice from home so I could continue breastfeeding. I know this is not an option for many people. Also, some babies are not as demanding. My first daughter was exclusively breastfed, but would only want feeding every 3-4 hours or so, and slept very well at night.

From early on I also set a bath-time routine for my baby. A relaxing bath with some lavender oil drops, then dressed into her pyjamas and finally feeding her until she fell asleep.

Michelle KH is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice, its good to know that I am not alone with this problem. When Iain falls asleep during a feed, it really depends how satisfy he is. Sometimes he sleeps for 5 mins but can last as long as 20 mins.

I am planning to express my milk when returning work so that my helper could feed him using the bottle. However, will expressing decrease my milk supply? Do you know how to increase the milk supply?

Michelle

rani is offline Administrator
    To maintain/increase your milk supply you'll need to pump/feed as often as possible. Remember to drink lots of water and you can also try taking Fenugreek.

More info on Fenugreek here:

http://forum.geobaby.com/showthread.php?threadid=103066

Rani

armstroe is offline Registered User
    Hi Michelle

Have you started expressing yet? It's a good idea to start a couple of weeks before you return to work so that you can practise and also freeze a supply. You can freeze breastmilk for up to three months.

I found the best times to pump were early morning. I would save one breast for my daughter's first feed and then use the other breast to express.

At first there won't be very much, but don't worry. With more practise and your body getting used to this, you will be able to "make" more milk to express.

As Rani said, drink lots of water. The best way to keep up your supply is to feed or express often. Although, the first week you return to work you may find your supply is low. Again, don't worry too much, just try to give your little boy lots of feeds, even if they are only 5 mins.

I have expressed milk at work both in Australia and Hong Kong. Unfortunately in most workplaces you've only got the toilet, but if you are planning to express at work see if you can find a meeting room or office with a door. You can either buy two pumps to express morning and afternoon, or get a microwave sterliser to use. Again, with practise you should be able to express at work in about 10-15 mins a time.

It sounds like a lot of fuss, but if you are enjoying your breastfeeding relationship with your baby, this is a lovely way to keep your special bond when you go back to work. And you won't be alone. I discovered a "secret" club of other mums doing the same at work!

aldougie is offline Registered User
    Second Armstroe's and Rani's comments about water - I expressed for at work and was drinking about 3+ litres a day plus taking mother's milk tea, fenugreek and eating oatmeal for breakfast - some people also take Milk Thistle (it didn't seem to work for me). When you get back to work get into a pumping routine and stick to your times as rigidly as you can. Start pumping now and build up a stash stash and pump at the weekends between feeds so that you have some in the freezer to take the pressure off if you miss a pump at work (which does happen). REMEMBER TO HAVE A STASH OF BREAST PADS in your desk - leaking at work is quite embarassing!

It is hard to start off with but you do get into a routine and it is definitely worth it.

Grace Bellis is offline Registered User
    I found that using hand to express milk for the last 5-10 mins of each pump helped stimulate my milk supply.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Have you tried getting some information from La Leche League? They have lots of suggestions about getting more sleep while still breastfeeding, maintaining your milk supply while working and managing to get more milk when expressing plus lots of other breastfeeding situations.

All the Leaders are volunteers, have breastfed their own babies and been trained and accredited by La Leche League International. One of the things they promise to do as Leaders is keep up-to-date with all breastfeeding information and so they often know more about the subject than health care professionals.

Maggie 2817-7475
    Tanja 2259-3081
    Judi 2987-5809
    Sarah 2548-7636

E-mail to: [email protected]

Web-sites : http://www.lalecheleague.org/ and http://www.lalecheleague.org/HongKong.html

I found them really helpful when I had problems.

Best wishes,
    Barb