Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Flagging breastmilk supply

armstroe is offline Registered User

Flagging breastmilk supply

In the last month, my 13 month old has dropped her mid morning and afternoon feeds due to her changing sleep schedule.

I've tried to do the feeds, but she is completely uninterested and worried that this means sleep time!

At night, because she is so exhausted, she falls asleep quite quickly and although I make sure she drinks from both breasts, I don't think she is drinking enough because now if she is awake and feeding before bedtime, she seems to working hard to get more milk than is there.

The morning feed first thing is fine.

During the day she is drinking water and some soy milk (the soy in mid afternoon)

Has it been anyone else's experience that suddenly there is a drop in milk at night if you are only doing two feeds a day?

Should I try to kickstart my milk supply again, or is the status quo OK? She goes to sleep fine and sleeps well at night.

Charlize is offline Registered User

just why soy milk ...

Just come across your msg & wonder why soy milk.

Some info for your reference:

Some people talking abt the soy milk. Pls read.

"Hi there, I am writting because I feel the need to say something about what I've read about soy formulas. Now, my son is currently on soy (not for long, though!) and I don't want to make people feel bad about about putting thier babies on it and I'm not trying to bad-mouth soy formula, I just want to put this info out there so you will be able to make your own decisions! But I had recently come across a ton of negative information about soy formulas; tests and findings that have led some doctors to say not to give soy to our babies at all! First of all, there are dangerously high levels of estrogen-like chemicals in soy that can effect sexual maturity, damage the thyroid and cause learning/behavoral problems and even cancer later in life. Apparently, babies eat the equivalant of UP TO 5 birth control pills in estrogen-like "phytoestrogens" a day with soy formula. They say soy contains "antinutrients" that actually block the absorbtion of some protiens, fats and enzymes and have prevented normal growth in rats. Lately there have been questions and studies about the dangerously high levels of manganese in soy; supposedly it can cause damage to the livers and brains in young infants. There is also 100 times more aluminum in soy than in regular milk. There are some consumer groups in New Zealand and Canada that are pushing to completely remove soy formula from the market! Shocking, huh? Please keep in mind I am not a doctor or a scientist and I'm sure these findings have not been scientificly proven without a doubt but if there is the SLIGHTEST chance that ANY of this can be true, people need to know about it. So please keep this in your thoughts and maybe research soy a bit more before we feed it to our precious angels! Check out for more info. They say knowledge is power! Thanks."
    -- jhlms

Charlize is offline Registered User

Some more info. on "SOY MILK"

>>>> Is soy healthy?

Soy is not the health food that you think it is.
    "From tofu and tacos to baby formula and burgers, soy products have swept the nation as a healthy source of protein, with a reputation for being all natural and good for you. New studies have however raised questions over whether the ingredients in soy might increase the risk of breast cancer in some women, affect brain function in men and lead to hidden developmental ab-normalities in infants.
    ... ....
    Soybeans also reportedly contain an anti-nutrient called "phytic acid", which all beans do. However, soybeans have higher levels of phytic acid than any other legume. Phytic acid may block the absorption of certain minerals, including magnesium, calcium, iron and zinc. Epidemiological studies have shown that people in 3rd World Countries who have high consumption of grains and soy also commonly have deficiencies in these minerals. It must also be noted that this may be of particular concern with regard to babies who are using soy-based infant formulas."

>>>> Beware of The Toxicity of Soy Products

"Contrary to popular belief that soy is a health food, evidence reveals that soy consumption has been linked to numerous disorders, including infertility, increased cancer and infantile leukemia, Type1 diabetes, and precocious puberty in children have been fed soy formula. (early maturation, such as breast development and menstruation as early as 6 years of age). Scientists have known for years that the isoflavones in soy products can depress thyroid function and cause goiters in otherwise healthy children and adults. A combined research team of Cornell University Medical College and Long Island Community Hospital medical experts have found that children who develop Type1 diabetes are twice as likely to have been fed soy formulas as those fed all other foods This confirms concerns based on animal studies raised in the 1980's and 1990s by Health Canada researcher Dr Fraser Scott and led to the American Academy of Pediatrics issuing their warning to pediatricians against any use of soy based formulas."

>>>> Soy Infant Formula - Better than Breastmilk?

"While soybeans are relatively high in protein compared to other legumes, scientists have long recognized them as a poor source of protein because other proteins found in soybeans act as potent enzyme inhibitors. These "antinutrients" block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. In test animals, diets high in trypsin inhibitors depress growth and cause enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer.
    ... ...
    As for girls, an alarming number are entering puberty much earlier than normal, according to a recent study reported in the journal Pediatrics. Investigators found that one percent of all girls now show signs of puberty, such as breast development or pubic hair, before the age of three; by age eight, 14.7 percent of white girls and a whopping 48.3 percent of African-American girls had one or both of these characteristics. New data indicate that environmental estrogens such as PCBs and DDE (a breakdown product of DDT) may cause early sexual development in girls and a study in Puerto Rico implicated soy feeding as a cause of early menarche. The use of soy formula in the WIC program, which supplies free formula to welfare mothers, may explain the astronomical rates of early menarche in African American girls.

The consequences are tragic. Young girls with mature bodies must cope with feelings and urges that most children are not well-equipped to handle. And early maturation in girls is frequently a harbinger for problems with the reproductive system later in life including failure to menstruate, infertility and breast cancer."

>>>> Soy: Too Good to be True
    "Soy and Infant Formula
    What is particularly worrisome is the presence of soy in infant formulas. It is interesting to note that many infants cannot tolerate soy formulas, that they seem to be "allergic" to the soy.

Perhaps the body is instinctively rejecting the enzyme inhibitors found in the soy. In a letter addressed to Linda Kahl at the division of Product Policy of the Food and Drug Administration dated April 22, 1998, Daniel Sheehan, Ph.d and director of the Estrogen Base Program at the National Center for Toxicological Research wrote:

"There is abundant evidence that some of the isoflavones, including genistein and equal are toxicants... additionally, isoflavones are inhibitors of thyroid peroxidase which makes T3 and T4. Inhibition can be expected to generate thyroid abnormalities including goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis. In fact, infants consuming soy infant formula rich in isoflavones have about a two-fold risk of developing these diseases...While isoflavones may have beneficial effects at some ages or circumstances, this cannot be assumed to be true at all ages. Isoflavones are like other estrogens in that they are two-edged swords, conferring both benefits and risk. Dr. Sheehan believes that "The addition of isoflavones to foods needs to be considered just as would the addition of estrogen to foods, which is a bad idea."

Dr. Sheehan is very concerned about the high isoflavone content found in soy based formulas. He feels that infants fed these formulas have been placed at risk in a "large, uncontrolled, and basically unmonitored human infant experiment." Dr. Fitzpatrick raises another issue: he believes that soy may combine with other xenoestrogens (such as pesticides). Fitzpatrick writes that "because of the potential for synergistic effects, human exposure to all endocrine disrupters, such as the soy isoflavones urgently requires reduction."