Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Credit Card for helper

Laura2s is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Lightbulb Credit Card for helper

Does anyone give their helper a credit card? I would like to help mine get one so that she can do errands and shopping for me at places other than ParknShop (she has a PNS card). I would keep the limit low, but would like us both to have the extra freedom that not always having cash around the house would provide.

Any suggestions?

Ruby is offline Registered User

Re: credit card for helper

I see no one has replied yet. I certainly wouldn't be giving my helper a credit card - even a small limit.

We give ours $1,000 cash and she must keep all receipts. At the end of each month she hands back the receipts and a record sheet with each $1,000 signed for. Much easier way to keep tabs on things.

armstroe is offline Registered User
    We do the cash in the drawer and receipts thing too. It's a pain remembering to get the cash sometimes, but over the years I've become better at menu planning and I now do the big shop myself (often online)

Based on my limited knowledge of bank credit facilities in HK I don't think you'll be able to get your helper a credit card because she doesn't earn enough money (nor has the credit background).

Also I don't believe you can get them a supplementary card (which you wouldn't want to do anyway)

When we first got here I asked about the PNS card but was told they weren't being issued anymore - how did you get yours, or have you had it a long time?

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    If it's the cash that's bothersome, I suppose you coulf buy her an Octopus card and then fill it up from time to time and have her present the receipts.

A credit card would be useless in the wet market anyway.

We do the give market money (a few hundred a week usually) and look at receipts and accounts.