Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

refusing to take a bottle

Bells is offline Registered User

refusing to take a bottle

My 4 month old baby is sometimes refusing to take a bottle of formula. He is mostly breast fed but I'm hoping to give up breast feeding soon so I'm introducing more and more bottles a day. I would like him to have 2 maybe 3 but I'm struggling to give him 1. I've tried many different bottles and nearly every formula on market. Has anyone got any suggestions?

j_s
    j_s is offline Registered User

hi,

I can sympathise and pass on advice, but I have to say that at 4 months my baby did the same, and never gave in!

people suggested: using different teats (faster/slower flows) . trying when he's hungry. sitting him up for trying when he's only a bit hungry (in the middle of a feed). trying formula. trying expressed milk. me trying. Dad trying. and so on.

now my baby is on some solids and will drink water and some formula from a cup; but he still gets his breast feeds! the only thing that works is persistence, I think, and I kept "giving in".

good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to keep trying and fingers crossed he will give in.

How old is your baby and what brand of sipping cup are you using?

aldougie is offline Registered User

Bells - is there anyone else that can give your baby their bottle? I still breastfeed my daughter in the morning and last thing at night (she's one year old) and she absolutely point blank refuses to take a bottle from me at home (fine when we are out) but is happy to take a bottle from hubby and our helper and always has been. When introducing a bottle I left them to it but if you don't have someone else to help at home I'm afraid I have no other advice.

aldougie,
    He will take a bottle from hubby but hubby isn't home during the week days and i can't expect him to get up at crazy hours during the night to feed him a bottle. Haven't tried with the helper yet but will do.

Everyone has said just leave the house when it's feed time and if he is hungry enough he will eat - will have to try.

yltam is offline Registered User

Wink

My 4 months baby have the same problem with the bottle. He takes bottles of expressed milk while I'm at work. We tried softening the teat (NUK brand) before each feeding. It seems to have improved a little.

Good luck!

did you just heat the teat?

JennyB is offline Registered User

There are some good tips on the Babywhisperer.com breastfeeding message board.

My baby has recently started taking the bottle at 6 months, after refusing it earlier, and I think it's because she is able to hold the bottle herself! So if nothing works, try again a few weeks later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast