Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

too young for swimming classes?

zoelee is offline Registered User

My daughter will be turning 4 next month. Her grandfather taught her to swim from when she was about 18-months (my husband comes from a family of swimmers). She loves it and can now swim unaided across the width of the pool. However, as her grandfather does not live in Hong Kong, it is difficult to keep up these private lessons. I have also been looking for classes. I recently found a group called Play Sport which organises various sports activities for children including swimming, tennis and gymnastics in the Pokfulam area. I have just signed up my daughter for some of these courses (April - June) and if she enjoys them, I will let her continue. If interested, check them out at www.playsport.com.hk.

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by New Daddy
    Get the DVD called Water Babies and you will know that it is never too young, only too late. The most important thing is that you need to be there to be safe.

New Daddy
    My baby is 6 months old. I took her to "swim" when she was 2 months old - not exactly swimming but more like floating and playing with water. I do this with her once a week - not so much of wanting her to swim but it is more for myself because I get to swim as well (I put her in the float while I swim). Besides, she always sleep after playing with water, which is great. My question is, can baby really swim at this age? Do they know how to breathe in the water? I heard of a baby swimming class in an international school in Pokfulam. Has anyone heard of this? Is it worth signing up? If I want to teach my baby how to swim, how can I do that (especially breathing in the water)?
    Last edited by Wee Kean; 05-08-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Peng is offline Registered User

My daughter started the "Parents and babies" swimming classes when she was about 8 months old with Harry Wright (www.hwiswim.com) at the West Island ESF school but we stopped after a few months because of the weather.

Wee Kean, I think this may be the swimming classes at the international school you're referring to.

The babies are too young to 'learn' how to swim in the traditional sense - i.e. they don't learn to swim the way young children/adults do. They can't - they don't have the motor skills yet. But I think babies do benefit from early classes. They learn not to be afraid of water. Within a few lessons, my daugther was quite happy being submerged in water and can move a few metres if pushed forward. She was learning to kick her legs in the water when we stopped her classes .

We attended another "parents and babies" class today (which is nearer our home) but it was no way as sructured as the Harry Wright's classes. I spent the hour doing my own thing with my daughter using the methods we learnt at her previous classes. I regret stopping my daughter's classes with Harry Wright and plan to rejoin their classes asap.

I'm trying to say that while babies don't 'learn' how to swim, they certainly benefit from exposure to the pool. If you want to send them to swimming classes - choose your school/teacher carefully.

Peng

Jen Spain is offline Registered User

We first took our daughter into the pool when she was 3 months - for familiarisation purposes primarily. She is now 22 months and we go everyday, sometimes twice (we have a pool so its convenient). She has a healthy relationship with the water, ie - she loves the water, is not afraid but realises the danger of not being able to float. She can doggy paddle (kick and use her arms like a dog digging) to stay afloat and we will do gradual breathing excercises with her leading up to her learn to swim classes.
    My advice would be to spend time with your child in the water to build such a relationship - learning to breathe and stroke correctly can come later and much more easily once they are comfortable in the water.
    Cheers,
    Jen

emilyc is offline Registered User

I understand Multisports also offers baby/toddlers swim classes at French International

e

rani is offline Administrator

If you're interested in teaching your little one to swim, we've just received a new book called Learn to Swim . The book is an amazing resource and includes the following:

- Shows you how to develop your child's confidence and ability in the water, and how to make learning fun.
    - Guides you through each stage of teaching from splashing in the bathtub to swimming underwater.
    - Plus it includes Lesson Plans.

Last edited by rani; 05-09-2005 at 07:21 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Wee Kean is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for the information. Will get the book and try doing it myself.

jiyoungchoo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by New Daddy
    Get the DVD called Water Babies and you will know that it is never too young, only too late. The most important thing is that you need to be there to be safe.

New Daddy
    Where can I get that DVD? I have searched amazon.com, however, they did not have that DVD.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast