Is baby drinking enough?
- 07-08-2004, 10:19 PM #9Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2003
- Discovery Bay
I had the same experience as your wife, that I got very little from the pump at first. I found this improved as my baby (now 7 months old) got older because although with time the breasts get less full, they gradually produce more milk in accordance with your baby's needs.
Also, like somebody else has commented, I find I can get MUCH more milk if I pump when feeding from the other side. It can be tricky to get the positioning right if you have a fidgety baby (mine tries to kick the pump) or if he/she keeps bobbing off the breast, but I can get up to 150ml in 10 minutes when I'm very full first thing in the morning, whereas the best I have done at any other time is 90ml in 30 minutes. If you want to build up a stock in advance, your wife could try this whenever her breasts are full. But don't panic too much about filling the freezer now. I have a friend whose freezer defrosted and she lost gallons! It will get easier as the baby gets older.
- By henry21 in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 11Last Post: 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
- By Bubbly in forum Baby's HealthReplies: 4Last Post: 08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
- By ren1909 in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 12Last Post: 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
- By ELT in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 1Last Post: 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM
- By saralee in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 2Last Post: 08-17-2006, 08:30 AM