Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bags for Freezing Breast Milk?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I don’t know if this will answer your question but the following quote is taken from Storing Pumped Breastmilk, Q & A Forum with Dr. Ruth Lawrence at http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...e_anwers1.html

Can breast milk be frozen in plastic bottles?

If plastic is used, you want something that you can fill without difficulty, and that you can store upright and open easily without spilling and risking bacteria getting in the milk. We are more concerned about the container when the baby is exclusively fed pumped and stored milk. In this scenario, we prefer glass or special plastic containers that are made precisely to collect milk. Baggies shouldn’t be used. They don’t stand upright in the freezer, and when they are thawed it is more difficult to pour the milk in the bottle, thus increasing the risk of contamination. Also, sometimes those bags split in the freezer.

Not all plastics are the same. But if you are freezing milk in a plastic nursing bottle, it is probably a safe plastic. I wouldn’t worry, especially if your baby only gets breast milk from a bottle occasionally.

Best wishes,
    Barb

helena is offline Registered User
    Using normal bottles to store EBM is really fine. I have been doing that for 19 months using Avent ones.
    I resort to using Tupperware tumblers too.

amychukityi is offline Registered User
    FYI, Avent no longer produce the storage bag and now they only provide storage cup.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    amy, thanks for letting us know. so back to square one i guess. my supply has been building up a bit lately in the fridge, so i'd like to start freezing before the pumped milk turns bad. with Avent bags gone, here are the freezer bag options, can someone pls help with the following?
    - Lasinol bags with ziplock (how much are these?)
    - Medela bags (how much are these?)
    - Avent cups (can we use liners as freezer bags?) disposable cups would seem quite expensive...
    - any other freezer bag options that more economical?
    I like the idea of freezing them as cubes, do i need to double bag if i do that?

thanks,
    kellyst

Joyce is offline Registered User
    I have some some Avent freezer bags that I no longer need. If anyone is interested, drop me an email.

Amanda Chen is offline Registered User

Smile

Hi kellyst,

Have you try Gerber Seal 'N Go Breast Milk Storage Bags yet? You can get them from Watson's. I used them and they're fine and much cheaper than any other brands than I know of. Good luck!

Best regards, Amanda Chen

kemerton is offline Registered User
    Mannings sells them too. Try the bigger ones. they're cheaper than bumps to babes.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    A less expensive alternative to the Avent bags are the Playtex bottle liners. Can't remember exactly how much, but definitely cheaper. I got mine from Bumps to Babes. Instead of twisties, I use plastic clips that you can get from either IKEA or Park n' Shop. I've been doing it this way for both LOs and so far no leaks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast