Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

getting around hk

c2006 is offline Registered User

getting around hk

Hi,

Does anyone know what's the best way to get around HK with a Toddler? (my son is 21months)

I drove in HK for a while but I got into taxi and buses only roads and got a fine on the first day I got my hk liscence! I also got lost a few times.

MTR and Buses are hard if you take a stroller a bag and a toddler with you isn't it?

On top of that it's hard to get a taxi from where I live during peak hours, sometimes I would wait up to 45 mins! Sometimes even they are'n available.

Can I ask how you super moms manage to get around hk with a toddler??? Any suggestions?

Curiously worried,
    Lily

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    Hi Lily,

You are right, it is tough getting around with a toddler. I have a 24 month old and I gave up the stroller long long ago ! It's hard to take in the MTR and on buses. Also it doesn't help that my son insists on pushing the stroller himself rather than sit in it. Then you end up trying to handle both..stroller and kid !

I don't have a car so that option is not for me. As for taxis depends on the circumstance really...it is tough to get a taxi during rush hour. My son is most well-behaved on the bus..he loves riding on the bus but you can't find a bus route always. When he is well-rested and fed he's quite happy to travel in the MTR. Walks quite a bit so I don't really miss the stroller. But of course he is only 2 so basically I plan outings very carefully so that I'll be back home before he gets too tired or hungry.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply scr,

Your suggestions sounds helpful, because my son behaves terribly when he's tired so it might be better for me to take him home b4 he's too tired.

well, I feel more relieved to hear that my son is not the only
    boy who refuses to sit on the stroller!! who likes to make a scene for me in the public.

Cheers

rani is offline Administrator
    We're also members of the "no stroller" club and he doesn't walk much either. And we've had loads of in public.

Mellie is offline Registered User
    Is it really that hard to get around in HK?? I have 2 kids under 2..and a double stroller. Should I get rid of it b4 I get to HK?? My daughter walks, but throws tantrums and doesn't really listen too well...the double stroller has been my sanity here in Japan
    Mellie

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    You are welcome Lily, and yes you are not alone :) But somehow it always looks like it's only my kid that's creating a scene ! Does it look like that to you too ?

Hi Mellie,

I gave up on the stroller like I said before. A double stroller seems like even more trouble when I think of it. Hope someone who has experience with that can help. There are loads of escalators and staircases and narrow footpaths in HK. Depends on where you are going to live. Will you be having your own car ? Or will you be using the public transport ?

Cheers

Unhappy

Hi rani,
    does that mean you have to carry her alot? or do you have a maid to carry her? When I carry my son I hurt myself because I don't have a strong built. Hopefully he will start walking safely himself.

Hi Scr,
    Yes when he's crying it sounds like he's the only one, esp in HK, everybody on the street would look at us. maybe it will be better if two babies make a scene together ! :)

Hi Millie,
    yes I remmeber the time when I take my stroller with us and I either end up carrying it because the footpaths have too many obsticles or I end up blocking ppl's ways. However if I drive to shopping centres it's easier to take a stroller and I guess what Scr said about where you're going to live is important as well.

There was a domestic helper in my son's playgroup who always brought a stroller with her and I am just really amazed how she went around with that.....I still wounder how she did it..

Mellie is offline Registered User
    Hi and thanks to everyone for your responses....

We're thinking of living in the Mid-levels or Pokfulam areas..and we're not going to have a car.

When I was visiting those areas they didn't seem stroller friendly, but I hadn't been on the MTR or really gotten around all that much and I didn't have my stroller (we had a tour with a real estate company and they drove us around..left the kiddies in Japan). I was hoping that I was just missing something.

We get around so well in Japan with it's narrow paths etc..I was hoping for the same thing in HK. Are there many elevators/escalators in the MTR stations?

Sorry for "butting in" on your thread C2006.....:(
    Mellie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top