Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby Still Waking Up At Night

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hkgirl - of course you should use whatever works best for you, but did you know that the American Society of Paediatrics has issued a health warning against Babywise books? Apparently the author (Ezzo) is an unordained Christian Fundamentalist minister with no medical training. He is not the sort of person I would be looking to for advice about my precious child. There is lots of information on the internet, such as:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...leep/8369.html

I don't have his book, but have read excerpts of his advice such as smack a child if it throws food from the highchair. What ???? My daughter started dropping and throwing food at about 9 months. Is he seriously suggesting I should smack a 9 month old???? Also, the LLL says that his routines interfere with establishing and maintaining breastfeeding.

His advice and routines sound cruel to me. I just wanted to be sure you made an informed decision before trying to use his books. For me, there is absolutely no way !
    Last edited by jane01; 08-30-2004 at 08:34 AM.

Graham is offline Registered User
    Our 9 month old boy is also not sleeping through the night and still wakes up several times a night. In fact his sleep pattern has gotten worse in the last 2 months.

He'll go to sleep at around 9pm after his bedtime feed and then usually sleep through until 1am or 2 am at which time he wakes for a night feed. We've tried cutting out the night feed, but if we don't give it to him he'll just keep on crying.

The problem is that after his night feed, he'll usually only sleep for an hour at a time in his cot and wake up every hour at 3am, 4am, 5am until he wakes up for good at 6am.

If my wife holds him in her arms in our bed, he'll sleep longer, but once he's back in his cot the maximum he'll sleep is for an hour at a time.

In the past he was better and after waking up for his night feed would fall back into a continuous sleep from 2am to 6am or 6.30am without waking up. How we long for those days!

Both my wife and I are becoming extremely tired.

Graham

val23 is offline Registered User
    Hi guys,

My son is now 13 months old and I just stopped breastfeeding him a few days ago. Until then, he would wake up once or twice a night for a feed. How did it stop? I had him sleep with the nanny instead of sleeping in the same room with me. After waking up for awhile, he just went back to sleep. If I was sleeping in the same room as him, he would see me and would not stop crying until I nurse him. I guess it's a different strategy for every kid.

shalom is offline Registered User

Unhappy

dear graham,
    that sounds exactly like my baby, although my baby is only 6 weeks old. He would go to sleep at 9pm, waking up at 1am, 4am, 5am, 6am and never go back to sleep again after 6. I am so sleep deprived and it's driving me crazy. He doesn't sleep so much in the day either, I have never seen a baby who sleeps so little and yet so energetic!!!

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    My son was a great sleeper till about 6 months old. After that it's been just like Graham described ! Now he's 3 and he was doing that on and off until 3 months ago. Now he wakes up ocassionally at night but just once and usually he's had a dream or something. At 6 months old when he started waking up every hour...it coincided with teething. So I think that's what bothered him for a long long time. Everytime he woke up very frequently I started checking his mouth and sure enough there was a tooth cutting through his gums ! He finally at 2yr 10mths had all his teeth in..but now it's dreams ! But atleast he doesn't wake up every 1 or 2 hours !

Good luck guys.

jwang is offline Registered User
    Shalom,

I think your baby may be going through a growth spurt. Check out: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html for more info. Graham, this info. may also concern you as well. Hopefully, you'll all be getting more sleep soon.

shalom is offline Registered User

Unhappy Thanks

dear jwang,
    thanks for the info, i am willing to listen to anything and try anything to make life easier for me and my baby. as i am a first time mother, i am really shocked at how looking after a newborn is NOT a bed of roses.

i am hoping that this waking up several at night and refusing to sleep business will diminish soon once he is older. am i being too optimistic?? anyone heard of control crying?? how do you go about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00184.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	979.0 KB 
ID:	121  

mummybee is offline Registered User
    You are soooo describing my baby as well, Graham. Val23, you should consider lucky your baby is only waking up at most twice at night to feed. Mine used to sleep from 8.30pm to 4am but at 3 mths, she went backwards and wanted to feed at 11pm, 2am, 5am. Now at 6.5mths, her schedule has become even worse with waking almost every 1-2hrs (due to teething probably - I have posted another thread re. this). My husband and I are slowly going crazy.

If I were you, Val23, I will count my blessings and pray he will wake less and less as he gets older...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12