Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question on expressed breast milk

Graham is offline Registered User

Question on expressed breast milk

Quick question for the breast feeding experts.

If we want to take a bottle of expressed milk from the fridge (not the freezer) out with us for a day trip, do we just put it straight into the insulated bottle carrier with a cold pack and then take it out later and let it warm naturally when it's time for baby to eat?

Or as my wife thinks, do we remove the bottle from the fridge & warm it to drinking temprature first, then put it into the insulated bottle carrier w/cold pack? This doesn't sound right to me as I'd worry about bacteria breeding.

We have to take baby to the airport on Friday to pick up his grandparents who are visiting from UK and although my wife plans to breastfeed at the nursing room at the airport (how are the rooms there by the way?), we want to take a bottle with us as back up. However, this will be are first time to carry a bottle of milk with us when going out, so we are a bit unsure what to do.

Graham

ojekydumbo is offline Registered User

Graham,

Nursing Room at the Airport is great with its changing facility as well, you can even bring your stroller into the room. Though, it's a bit like an ice box -- make sure you have something to cover your young baby.

I would suggest your wife no need to bring her expressed milk, if you only make trip to the airport.

:breastfed

rani is offline Administrator

Graham,

I would put the milk in an insulated carrier and warm it up just before a feed.

HTH.

Rani

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

jane01 is offline Registered User

I agree that the nursing rooms at the airport are great ! Much better than some overseas airports I've experienced. One at Perth International Airport didn't even have a seat in the parents room to enable me to feed my baby, only a change table. At Chep Lap Kok they are clean and plentiful. There is a map on the airport website to show you where they are, but the airport is well signposted as well:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/nursing.html

I wouldn't want to keep milk warm longer than absolutely necessary. I'd warm it up just before a feed.

yltam is offline Registered User

Thumbs up

I have travelled from H.K. island to Chep Lap Kok (return journey)by car on a week day morning with my baby (1 month old at that time). We fed the baby before our car ride then we spent about 2 hours at the airport. I BF baby before taking the car trip home. The baby rooms at the airport are clean, comfortable and cool for BF.

I don't think you would need your expressed milk in the cooler. However, if you do take it with you, do keep it cool. Only warm it up before you feed your baby. You're right about the bacteria. They will multiple if warmed up and kept in a moist environment!

Cheers!

Michelle KH is offline Registered User

Definitely warm it up just before the feed. Also, there is a new product on the market call "Fridge-to-go", which is quite good for storing expressed milk. You put the whole thing in the freezer and then the container act as a fridge and can cool the contents for up to 8 hours. Ideal if you are travelling for a long time and can't find a nursing room.

Attached Images Attached Images  

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

Breast milk should only be heated once. Once heated feed to the baby immediately and any unused milk should be discarded. You might find the following information about milk storage useful.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Graham, will you be traveling with your wife to the airport?
    If so you could encourage her to start breastfeeding in public. She might feel very frighten to try but each time she does it it will get easier. And it is so helpful to have the support of your husband or other good friend the first few times you do try.

Practicing at home first might help. Ask your wife to feed in front of you or a mirror with lots of music or noise around and see how the baby copes. Use a baby sling – any type will do but an over-the-shoulder sling is useful because you can nurse the baby in it and no one will know.

Wear a T-shirt or loose fitting clothes and avoid button down the front dresses and blouses. Some of my friends like specially made nursing clothes and others like to use a shawl to cover the baby.

Remember that if people are not expecting you to nurse your baby (and who expects it in Hong Kong?) then it doesn’t enter their heads that you will be doing so. The most common question I was asked when feeding in public was “Is the baby asleep?”

I personally don’t like the special nursing rooms at the airport. I get bored all by myself and am always worried that I’m going to miss the people I’ve gone to collect.

Good luck with the outing,
    Barb

jwang is offline Registered User

Michelle,
    Do you know where I can purchase the Fridge-to-go in HK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast