Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding + Pregnancy

Carm is offline Registered User
    Clearwater Bay

Breastfeeding + Pregnancy

I would like to know if there is any mum who have experience of breastfeeding their baby and having a new pregnancy at the same time! I would like to know whether .......

1. Is it possbile to keep breastfeeding and having a new pregnancy?
    2. Does the taste and amount of the breastmilk change after being pregnant?
    3. Will it be harmful to the new baby if I keep breastfeeding because I was told before breastfeeding will make the uterus contract which will be easy to cause miscarriage?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Dear Carm,

I breastfed through two of my pregnancies with no problems at all. In fact I was very thankful for the ability to get my little one to lie down for some quiet time when I needed to have a rest.

The people who give me the best support when I was in your situation were the Leaders from La Leche League. I found that the medical professions in Hong Kong were not very knowledgeable about breastfeeding and definitely not about breastfeeding while pregnant.

The next LLL meeting is on Tuesday 10th August at Kindermusik by Catherine Studio, Suite 1005A ,The Centrium, 60 Wyndham Street, Central, HK

To answer your questions:

1. Yes it is possible to breastfeed while pregnant. It is even possible to feed both a newborn and an older child. This is called tandem nursing.

2. I don’t know about the taste of the milk changing but often the amount decreases during the second trimester. For this reason if your first child is under a year it is advisable to monitor the child’s growth. That’s right the older child is more at risk than the unborn child.

3. It is my understanding that the uterus contracts a lot during pregnancy and not just during birth. Nipple stimulation or breastfeeding will only induce birth if birth was imminent anyway.

You may find the following web sites of interest:

I'm Pregnant and Still Nursing My Toddler--Must I Wean Now?

Articles from New Beginnings, LLLI’s magazine for mothers on the topic of Breastfeeding During Pregnancy,

Best wishes,

Carm is offline Registered User
    Clearwater Bay
    Hi Barb,

Thanks a lot!! Very useful info!!