Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

local or international?? hurry!!

hart is offline Registered User

sending the child to 2 schools?

Shaz,
    I’ve tried not to think about it but time is running short and I think we’ll need a decision very soon. I prefer international but my hubby wants local. He feels if our girl is to stay in HK, learning Chinese is a must. If she can manage to get in some good local school, he won't mind letting her study there. If it doesn't work out, then we can switch her back to international. While not every school is the same, I don't like the competition and the traditional way of teaching in local schools. My husband is more open on this. So if we can put her in local and give her extra English lessons, can we also put her in int'l and give her extra Chinese lessons? I think Chinese is important too but I’d want an easier way to learn it, rather than thru numerous homework and tests, if that’s possible.

Roger,
    My husband thinks exactly like you. We both are Chinese and have spent quite a number of years overseas. In order to maintain both languages, we speak English to our daughter and my mother-in-law and everybody else speak Cantonese to her. She doesn’t have problem understanding Cantonese but she doesn’t speak it as well as English.

Some people suggested sending her to an international kindie that offers both English and Mandarin but these kindies, e.g. Yew Chung, Kingston are awful expensive. What about local in the morning and international in the afternoon? I know some parents do that but I’m afraid it would be too much for the child, not being able to have a nap in the afternoon.

shaz is offline Banned

i am finally comfortable with my choice and my son is happy at school now learning in his preferred language which is english. we encourage cantonese at home and he takes an art class on saturdays in canto. it has improved and he is finding it more interesting to talk in canto. especially when his mummy does.

there are kinndies that have bilingual teaching you just gotta do your homework one i can think of is the ascot internatonal kindie where there use both eng. and cant. to teach. personally, i feel all day school is too much for a child so young.

besides the local traditional schools dont forget there are alot of choices out there such as the DSS schools which unfrtuntely do have high competition,

Vrindavan is offline Registered User

i prefer International schools,
    to learn more Chinese should not be the only one reason
    to put the kid in local school.

however, i agree the tution cost is a big consideration

Roger is offline Registered User

Just to update you on the application process for local primary schools.
    1. September of the year before Primary 1: Fill in a form from the Education Dept naming your preferred school, then take the form to the school on the required dates with the required documents (the ED will have specific info on this, but basically, your ID, Child's Birth Certificate & ID/Visa, Proof of Address, Proof of religious affiliation (if any and if required for extra points)
    2. Half the places are allocated according to a points system related to the child's age, your relationship with the school (eg, you work there, are on the governing body or have the same religious affiliation), but NOT related to where you live. Children with older siblings in the school automatically get in. There are NO tests or interviews allowed.
    3 The school will post a list of successful applicants in mid-late November. Successful applicants must then register with the school on the appointed dates. Unsuccessful students enter a clearing phase in January, where 3 schools are chosen, either the previous choice or other schools within your net. If you still don't get what you want, then you go to the school you want and plead your case with the principal.
    Hope that clarifies things as regards applications.

Also, the government provides induction courses for non-local or non-Chinese speaking children who wish to use the local system.

donosti is offline Registered User

Angry Local or international???

I am completely lost:confused
    Local, international, K1, P1 ESF.... could anybody explain what all this means?
    I have a 2 and a half year old ( he will be 3 in May) and we are moving to HK by the end of the year.
    I know the waiting lists are really long in HK and I should put him on the list as soon as possible but I need to understand how the system works before I do, any help?
    He doesnt speak yet but he understands English and Spanish.
    Any website were I can find some clariying info?

Thanks,

Vrindavan is offline Registered User

>> donosti

English medium school for sure
    try apply over email and fax first

rani is offline Administrator

Hola Donosti,

Kids start kindgergaten (K1) at 3. Kindergarten is for 2 years and then they move to primary school (P1). More info on ESF schools here:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

donosti is offline Registered User

Gracias Rani.
    Have anybody any experience with the YMCA international? Is it far from DB?
    We are still not sure where to live but for what I have seen "Laguna Verde" seems pretty nice. Any nice kindergarden around? Is this area convenient for kids?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast