Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

local or international?? hurry!!

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    There is no official banding of schools in HK
    Oh... thanks for clearing that up. I thought there was because other people talked about getting into a "band one" vs. "band five" school or something like that.

So if there is no official banding, how do you know what is a "good" school?
    All the best,
    Katie

Vrindavan is offline Registered User
    >>no official banding

i guess there is a banding, but it is not release to the public, thus only school principal and some teachers from that school will know its own school banding.

shaz is offline Banned
    Well, im back, my son is halfway through primary 1 now, we met in the middle, he attends a DSS whereby instruction medium is english for lessons except for mandarin and chinese as a second language, so everyone is happy. the school seems fairly relaxed at the moment and not too demainding on the kids. this way my half/half son will ge tthe best of both worlds

Roger is offline Registered User
    My son is also halfway through P1. Although we do have homework and exam issues (my son is actually doing OK), the school (Pentecostal Yu Leung Fat in Fanling) is extremely supportive and is welcoming to non-Chinese children, although lessons are in Cantonese only. I'm sure that if a child had non-Chinese speaking parents, that some homework-support arrangement could be worked out with the school

shaz is offline Banned
    glad your son is doing ok Roger, mine even though he speaks cantonese prefers an english speaking enviornemt and is thriving at school beause of it. he is very reluncant to speak cantonese at the moment.

spockey is offline Registered User
    ctrbabe1

Schools of the same cluster compare results... e.g. catholic school principals spend an arvo comparing performances. Primary schools are not banded! Bands have been decided based on some schools producing good kids going to good schools consistently and some even publish their results... this is what my C.D. head's just told me. There is no formula... a lot of it is perception.

Some schools have open days, perhaps you should consider checking them out. Otherwise, you can always p.m. me and I'll ask my team of local teacher's their thoughts... They are my best advisers being parents and teachers of the local system.

A DSS is probably your best bet... if not, check out this school... Kowloon Tong Government Primary School. I noticed that most of the local teachers with children in my school place their children in a DSS! Interesting isn't it?

Vrindavan is offline Registered User
    what is the average tution fee for a DSS now?

shaz is offline Banned
    when my son goes its $2200 per month.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast