Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

local or international?? hurry!!

shaz is offline Banned

local or international?? hurry!!

Why local or why international, how do you choose?
    My situation is this: I am British, hubby is Chinese and are son just finished his K1 at a local kindergarten. He joined Feb this year when he turned 3 and he will repeat K1. Although i dont feel he has too.
    Anyway, i am quite keen to change him to an itnernational one but hubby wants local, this is tearing me apart as i dont know what's best. Any ideas please and quick because i need to make an application now. My other question is if he went to a local kindergarten could he have a chance in an international primary school being his mum is british and his english is very good? thanks

loupou is offline Baby Guru

I am in a similar situation to you (me foreign, DH HK Chinese).. We had are kids in local schools until this year. Now my dd will be entering P4 and my son P2 (ESF system).

I think you can relax and send your son to local kindergarten. The big decision will be when he is in K2. The K3 year is the equivalent of the P1 ESF year.

If you apply to ESF, make sure you emphasize that he cannot cope in the loca; system. Otherwise he will most likely be waitlisted.

shaz is offline Banned

loupou, can i call you please?
    can you leave me your no. you can email me at [email protected] if thats more appropriate, thanks
    sharon

michelef is offline Registered User

I was in similar situation a few years back. DH wanted my son to be in the same school he went to when he was little... I was upset but went along with it. After 2 horrible years (ie. 8-10 homework per day, school letters which I cannot make sense of cos they are in Chinese, school doesn't have a PTA and not to say tons of tests and exams), we ended up hating each other (the 3 of us), my son was scared stiff at around 6pm cos he knew I would be home soon... He won't finish homework till 11pm adn then we have to revised for tests and dictations. What did he get out of these 2 years? Basically Nil. We couldn't take it anymore cos we were worried about the rising of suicidal rates in students in HK so we tried to switch him back to INternational school (ESF.. he was 7 yrs), one school rejected him cos his English level is not up to their standard. We were lucky to have another school accepted him and he is now in Year 7 in South Island and having such a terrific time. Not only he is now growing up to be respectable boy, his knowledge surprises me too cos he now has time to read books. We can now go out on weekends adn enjoy life..

Local Schools? nah, never again. I can be contacted at [email protected] if you need to talk?

Cheers,

michelef is offline Registered User

One very important note, if you are non-Chinese, you will not be able to help your child with his schoolwork, will your DH do that? How could he find time to do that cos that is almost a full time job!

val23 is offline Registered User

definitely International!

I graduated from CIS a decade ago. Now I have my own baby who is just 6 months old. I have told my hubby who is HK Chinese (I, oversea Chinese) that our son will definitely have to go to an international school. School is supposed to be fun and I wouldn't want to waste the happiest years of my son in a local school. Although they have more hw, exams, etc... in local schools it doesn't mean that they learn more. Also, the personality of people from international and local schools are really different.

If you are going international, you have to figure out which system you want? American? then HKIS is the answer. My bro and sis went there and they both loved it. On the otherhand, CIS is a more conservative international school.

Good LUCK!

kareena is offline Registered User

international vs ESF

what are the differences / advantages-disadvantages of INTL and ESF schools?

Is CIS international or esf? what does CIS stand for?

val23 is offline Registered User

CIS

CIS: Chinese International School
    It is located at Breamar Hill.

The curriculum at CIS is geared towards IB (International Baccalaureatte). I think for ESF (not sure) is towards A levels.

ESF is partly subsidized(?) by the hkg government. International schools aren't.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast