Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Expensive Antenatal Package

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User
    hi teeks and karishma,

i haven't decided which hospital to use use yet but the prices i am quoting are the doctors fees regardless of which hospital you choose. at their offices i believe that they are linked to 3 hospitals, Matilda, Adventist and HK Sanatorium. Their fees go up as per room you choose.

Karishma, from what i can remember i had a few appointments with m leung and he was more expensive than dr doo. you should enquire about his prices.

I hope you all are insured unlike me.

Lia
    Lia is offline Registered User
    Hi Avi

I've been trying to work out costs too, and it's not easy!!

Here's where I've got to with the various options and possibilities (if anyone can see I'm missing anything obvious, I would be very grateful if you could alert me!). These are a rough guide only though...

Doctor's package (all prenatal visits and natural birth) $28,000

Hospital package (Matilda) $16,500 (standard 3-bed room, natural delivery) to 55,500 (private room, emergency caesar)

Epidural (including anesthetist) around $12,000

Mid-wife package (including antenatal classes, 6 postnatal home visits and on-call mid-wife) $6,800

Doula support during labour $2,900 (non-refundable deposit) + $2,900 post-labour

I'm not sure if I'm going to use all options, but I wanted to get some idea of each of these as we have no insurance either and need to be prepared.

Hope that helps...

L.

Avi
    thanks lia your list looks quite complete except for the paediatrician fee which can be btw 5-10k.
    again your drs fees seems far reasonable than mine.

my question being, would it be advisable to look for a new ob after 5 months preggie??

AC1234 is offline Registered User
    Rosewwod,

Did the 22k include the ante natal checkups with ultrasound etc as well or was itonly for the delivery?

If so did it include the anethetists fee?

Lia
    Hi Avi

My OB is Lucy Lord at Shui On. Her package is available up to 24 weeks (ie. you need to join the scheme any time before turning 24 weeks). Others may have a similar approach, but... you may be past this point, I'm not sure.

My OB's clinic does have a pay-as-you go pricelist of individual charges if you don't take a package, which could also be useful... I'm not sure of these off the top of my head, though.

I wouldn't change my OB at this stage (I'm 20 weeks), but that's because I'm really happy with her. You may not feel so strongly in which case a change may be good.

Good luck.

L.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I think that the most important thing about your doctor is that you trust him/her. I changed doctors at 31 weeks because the doctor I’d been seeing up until then started to say things that I wasn’t comfortable with. I decided to look around again and ended up with a doctor I was much happier with. I’ve known one or two women who changed doctors as late as 37 or 38 weeks for the same reason.

If cost of the doctor is a big issue for you have you considered the Hospital Authority hospitals?

I recently talked to a couple of nurses from the United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong. I was very impressed with their policy of giving all mothers and babies 30 minutes of uninterrupted skin-to-skin contact. It really is the best way to get breastfeeding off to a good start.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Lia
    Hi Avi

Sorry if this is hopelessly naive, but is the paediatrician you mention above involved at the hospital at/after the birth or after you've gone home with your baby...? I.e. when does the paediatrician come into play? And, where did you get your estimate of HKD5,000-10,000 from...?

Any info gratefully received!!

L.

Avi
    hi lia,
    don't worry about. i didn't know until my friend told me. after birth there is a paediatrician that checks up on your baby to make sure everything is ok. i'm not sure if your ob arranges to have one or if the hospital has it there already. the price is what my friend had to pay. i'll ask her again exactly how much she paid and get back to you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast