Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Expensive Antenatal Package

rani is offline Administrator
    You have to select your own Paed. The hospital will call yr Paed after the delivery and they'll come to check the baby and will visit every day while you're there.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Slee is offline Registered User
    Don't worry Avi, there are quite a few very good OBs out there who are a lot more reasonable.

Matilda have their own Ped. which cost friends HK$4,000 for their newborn to receive a standard post birth check up.

As for Drs. Dr Ho and Dr Dawkins both do all inclusive packages which cost HK$26,000. If you end up needing a C-section Dr Ho will charge you more but Dr Dawkins won't. Moreover, I know that if you join Dr Dawkin's package late in your pregnancy, the cost of any appointments, scans etc which you have not used will be deducted from the overall cost. I haven't used either of these doctors but have a number of friends who have used both and all parents absolutely adore them!!!

Rani, I'll understand if you feel the need to edit my last comment.
    Re: Lucy Lord she is the one OB that a midwife whom I know personally recomended I keep away from due to her inability to cope well with emergencies. I also know quite a number of mums who had straightforward births with her during which she shocked them with her bedside manner - all are lawyers too so not delicate by nature.

jomum is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanting to share my experience on this topic.

Dr Milton Leung delivered my baby last year. The total cost of the delivery was $150K. This included Dr Leung ($52K for c-sect), pediatrician ($15K), Anesthetist ($12K), hospital stay at the Matilda private rm ($55K for emergency c-sect), and Dr Leung & Dr Doo's post natal visits.
    I was told that the delivery cost was regardless the type of room I would choose.

I was indeed lucky to be covered by insurance. However, putting aside the ob-gyn costs, from the first visit I felt so comfortable seen by Dr Leung and his other partners, Dr Doo & Dr Choy. The staff at the clinic are really friendly. Dr Doo & Dr Choy's costs are slightly cheaper then Dr Leung, both for the delivery and consultations.

The pediatrician cost covered the visits to check my baby whilst we were in the hospital for 5 days. He could not make it during the delivery, though. I still wonder whether the cost would be the same.

Rosewood is offline Registered User
    The 22K doctors fee was just for the delivery of the baby including the use of forceps, plus daily visits to the hospital (sometimes several times a day) - I stayed 4 and a half days. . Paedatrician charge was around $2400K dollars which included 4 daily visits to the hospital (the paeditrican was recommended by my doctor, likewise, the anaethaesist was also recommended by my doctor). Anaethesist/epidural charge was $7k, the hospital package was $12400, the hospital also charged $6K for the epidural, plus around $4K for other misc hospital costs such as use of forceps, foetal monitor, hearing test, admission fee, inducement, medicine etc.

Antenatal was a separate charge - around 1000 dollars per visit, and not included in the $54K price quotede earlier.

Hope this helps...

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User
    hi slee,
    who is dr ho? can you give me his/her full name?

hi jomom,
    your paediatrician fee of 15k seems quite high. was that refered by milton leung or hospital? would it have been possible to choose your own?
    As for the pricing package, i did receive two different prices for dr doo depending on which room i choose. but maybe dr leung just has a fixed price as he is already more expensive than the others.

jomum is offline Registered User
    Hi Avi,
    The pediatrician was referred by Dr Leung. The staff at his clinic did ask me if I had one in mind. As I was new to HK, I did not know anyone.
    Up to now, I still wonder if the pediatrician's charge should have been cheaper since he was not present during the birth.

As for the anaesthetist, I was also asked by Dr Leung & the hospital and at the end the hospital recommended one. He was a good one. My husband and him did chat in the operating theater :)

Slee is offline Registered User
    Dr. Philip Ho. There is a review of him on the geobaby homepage along with his contact details. He has delivered 6 babies of four friends now and as I said before they all found him great - very unusual for a group of women to be in concensus! Another great thing about him is that her will deliver at Adventist and Canossa which are a lot cheaper than Matilda and aren't known for adding hidden costs to your final bill.

rani is offline Administrator
    Originally posted by Slee
    Another great thing about him is that he will deliver at Adventist and Canossa which are a lot cheaper than Matilda and aren't known for adding hidden costs to your final bill.
    Slee the hospitals are in the business of making money. So yes, they will charge you for everything that is not included in their maternity package.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast