The only doula I know of in Hong Kong is Hulda at Annerley Midwives
    http://www.amidwife.com/

Doula service from Annerley Midwives,
    http://www.amidwife.com/doula.htm

Best wishes,
    Barb

loupou is offline Baby Guru

High prices

It was high prices like those that led me to become a private patient at a public hospital. Everything included cost about $25 K, which matched my medical benefit. If I ever had another child, I would go for the public system the whole way - antenatal checks at Maternal Child Health Centre (free!) and birth in a public hospital and stay on a public ward (I think HK$100 per day now...).

HK$ 76,000 or HK$ 100,000 - that's your kid's entire pre-school education right there - or almost 2 years of a domestic helper's salary.

- MiserMama

AC1234 is offline Registered User
    loupou,

How long ago did you have your baby. Cos I understand this system is no more and if you go private you've got to pay for everything all way long....

AC1234 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fio9372
    Hi Everybody,

I'm going to give birth for the first time at the beginning of may and I'm trying to get as much information as I can about hospital costs in order to decide where I will deliver!
    I wrote down an estimation of total costs for natural delivery in a 4 bedroom at the Adventist and it turned out being a little bit cheaper than 40,000 HK$. Of course my gyn is not too expensive compared with others: he charges 10,000 HK$ for the delivery. Is this price correct? Can anyone who gave birth in the Adventist in a 4 bedroom confirm this quotation? Our insurance only covers 50,000 Hk$ and I'm afraid of the hidden charges that always come out in the final bill.

Also, are the gyn and the obstetrician the same thing? A friend of mine had to pay for both separately when she gave birth but I cannot figure out the difference -she paid 2,800 $ for the ob + 25,000 for the gyn! My gyn only mentioned the anestethist and the pediatrician fee, but he never told me about any ob. fee.

Last question: could someone please tell me what is "Doula"? I read about it a couple of times in the forum but I have no idea of what it is!

Thanks in advance for you replies!
    Fio

Hi!
    10k for normal delivery seems quite reasonable. Would appreciate if you could share who your Dr is?

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Private patient at public hospital

My second child was born 7 years and 4 days ago. I have a friend who used this system about 2 years ago. I called PWH and was told at present only 1 OB is authorized to have private patients. If you want, you can pm and I will give you the telephone number to book w/ his secretary (that is, if you want to deliver at PWH).

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    I am seeing Dr Dawkins now, but he no longer offers the packages as previously mentioned. He is on a "pay as you go" system now.

Slee is offline Registered User
    I noticed that Dr Dawkins is no longer in the Central QHC practice. Where has he moved to? I always found it an oxymoron that he charged such reasonable fees but will only deliver at the most expensive hospital!

baby2 is offline Registered User

Trying to find Dr Dawkins

Does anyone know where Dr Dawkins is nowadays? He isnt at the number on the ob list anymore?

I am expecting baby 2 now and want to try him out!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345