Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

waking up in the middle of the night

kayla is offline Registered User

waking up in the middle of the night

Since he was 3 months old, my 5 month old used to sleep through the night from 12am until a feed at 8am before going right back to sleep for another 4 to 5 hours. starting last week, he began to wake up at 4am each night demanding another feed. we tried not feeding him and trying to get him to sleep again, but to no avail.
    is this usual? we wonder if he is really hungry or whether he has fallen into the habit of waking up in the middle of the night.
    i am still breastfeeding but will soon switch him to formula, shall i wait until his sleeping pattern is better established?

joschan1 is offline Registered User

baby waking

Kayla,

Your baby is still young, so waking up from time to time at night is not unusual. If you don't want to feed her at 4am, you can try just rocking her back to sleep, and keep doing that until the specific feeding time. I had a baby who kept waking every 3 hours until 8 months, when miraculously she stopped needing to feed at night. I think it was a combination of age and starting of solids, they become more settled. Good luck

val23 is offline Registered User

My baby is also like that. He used to sleep longer when he was 3-4 months old. Now he is 6.5 months old and wakes up at 11 and then 4 to feed. (He sleeps at 8.) We tried rocking him back to sleep but he wont. So I just breastfeed him. I guess I'll just wait for him to outgrow it. I dont really want to impose on my baby if he is really hungry or thirsty.

thank you both for sharing. with your advice in mind, i think it's probably best to feed my baby on demand rather than setting too rigid a schedule at this time.

Michelle KH is offline Registered User

My son is also like that. Iain (nearly 6 months old) also used to sleep through from around 11pm til 9am. Also, a week ago, he was waking up at around 4am for a small feed (only 5 minutes or so).

Not sure if this is due to his age or whether he is teething soon. He has been dripping a lot lately and he likes biting his fingers. My guess is that he may not be feeling very comfortable and that's why he is not sleeping very well.

Kayla and val, are both your babies teething?

teething

hi Michelle,

my baby chews on his hands, feet and everything else that comes into range. however, he's now 6 1/2 months old but no teeth. i hear that if he doesn't sprout any now, his first teeth will show around 9 months old. now, he sleeps straight thru the night, but sometimes seems very restless and makes weird noises without waking up...he sounds like he's complaining about something...we think that it might be signs of teething too.

Graham is offline Registered User

Baby Jeffrey who is 4 months old today (11-Oct) has started waking up every 2 hours for the last week or so.

He used to be able to sleep 3-4 hours between feeds. He goes to bed at about 10pm and now wakes up at around 12am, 2am, 4am & 6am. Needless to say his poor mum who is still breastfeeding at night is not getting much sleep.

And like Kayla's baby, he's making weird noises while he's asleep like he's complaining about something and kicking his feet up really high. This usually happens at around 4am to 6am.

Not sure if he's starting teething yet, although he is putting his fingers and anything else he gets his hands on into his mouth all the time.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jstanding.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	105  

snoopymom is offline Registered User

my baby is 4 months old and sleeps at 10pm - 7am but usually wakes up at 2am and then at 5am. I just breastfeed him a little and she goes back to bed but i am wondering if she is teething also. Always chewing her hands and clothes and anything she can grab her hands on. Drooling a lot also.

What other signs are there and when will we know to give her panadol or teething gel? Will she start crying a lot for no reason? She is also really fussy during feeding times... will not stay still throughout the feeding... is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast