Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Baby refuses solids

momo is offline Registered User

Thank you all for your feedback. The pediatrician decided to first check if she has urinary tract infection first. Personally I doubt that is going to provide the answer to her refusal to eat. I have tried to compensate by giving her more formula but she does not even finish 180ml. Incidentally how do you all fit in the solids and the formula. What are your time intervals between bottles and bottles/solids? My daugther has her first bottle at around 8am (she refuses any earlier even if she is awake). Her next bottle is noon, then 6pm and 10pm (if she wakes for it). I tried to give her solids around 11am and 4pm (without success).

jdang is offline Registered User

Momo,

My kids (7 mth) schedule:

if up before 6:30am - 3 or 4 oz milk (depending how early it is)
    8-9am breakfast - cereal mix wz 5 oz milk & strained oats
    12-1pm lunch - rice porridge with fish & vegetables
    4-5pm snack - 4 oz milk
    7:30-8pm dinner - 5 oz milk with strained oats
    12 midnite - 5 oz milk (they sleep but I still feed them)

I try to get them to sleep shortly after each meal. They sleep better with a full tummy. When they get up, they play for an hour before I feed them coz they're never hungry immediately.

HTH - let me know how's your little girl is doing...:-)

Jdang, thanks for your very helpful information. Still no luck with getting my daughter to eat. I just came across HKFooey's reply for the Thread "Baby refuses breastmilk and bottle" where she says her baby did not start solids until 7months and only really started eating at 9 months. Hopefully this is the case for mine. Nothing medically wrong with her and she seems happy so I guess she has her own schedule.

traceykwong is offline Registered User

Baby refuses solids

if it's any consolation, my daughter started taking solids after at 1.5 years old. Children have their own time in doing the things they do. I suppose it applies to your little one too. They will eat when they are good and ready. Meanwhile, just continue with milk and don't force food into your baby's mouth. The last time you want is let them have a negative impression of food. All the best.

Tracey
    http://claudiacheng.livejournal.com

Tracey, your reply is a huge relief and great consolation. Thanks. Did you continue to give solids to your daughter despite her refusals before her acceptance at 1.5 year?

ollyvia is offline Registered User

Momo, I agree with Tracey. Your baby will tell you when she's ready for solids. My 7 months old daughter showed her interest (when she was about 4 months) by mimicking our mouth movement when she saw us eating. How long has she had this problem? Maybe she's just teething so her gum is sore? Do you use rubber spoon? I bought mine from Sogo (Piyo Piyo) and have been using it for 3 years now (I bought it in 2001 for my first daughter). What did you give her? Maybe you should try something closer to "milk" taste - like rice cereal mixed with milk?

Jdang, where can I find the oat/cereal that can be mixed with the milk? I'm using Avent bottles. Do you need teats with bigger or more holes?

And, by the way, Strong, how do you fit 4 bottles and 3 solids a day? My daughter is taking 3 bottles (morning @ 8, snack time @ 4 and night time @ 11) and 2 solids (lunch @ 12 and dinner @ 7), and I already find it too much. It's like I'm stuffing her with food all the time and I still have to introduce breakfast????

traceykwong is offline Registered User

I sure did. She had baby crackers and snacks. I know they weren't exactly the best food to offer but at that time, I had little choice. All I wanted was to get her used to the idea of eating, even if it meant eating cookies. :)

Trace

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0586.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	98  

jomum is offline Registered User

Momo,

My cousin's baby girl (10 m.o) refused to take solid at all at 6 month. What I mean by solid is any type of baby cereal or jar food. On the contrary, she always watched family members who were eating intensely and would ask for the food. Once given a bite, she would ask for more. However, when it's her time to take meal, she would tightly close her mouth, making feeding totally impossible. Apparently the solution is the person who feeds her, has to pretend that she is actually eating the food, ignores the baby and let her ask for it. That way, baby does not feel like being forced eating.

Hope this idea helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast