Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Baby refuses solids

momo is offline Registered User

Baby refuses solids

Has anyone any experience with their babies refusing solids. My 7 month old baby is refusing to try solids. She simply refuses to open her mouth to even taste the food. She has lost weight as a result. Also would appreciate feedback as to how much formula a 7 month old should be taking. Mine only takes about 500 ml a day.

strong is offline Registered User
    Hello,

I had a midwife come to my house in Australia when my daughter was 7 months old and they recommend between 7-10 months a baby should be having 4 bottles a day of at least 180mls per bottle. At this age, I was giving my daughter 5 feeds at 180mls per bottle. They say at some stage you need to get this up to 240mls. My daughter is now 91/2 months old and I dropped one of these bottles at 9 months. She now get 4 bottles a day, 2 are 180mls and two are 240mls. I only started the 240mls today so I'll see how it goes. She took her one in the morning very well.

On top of this, she has 3 meals of solids a day (and was also having 3 solid meals at 7 months).

What solids have you tried? Perhaps she just doesn't like what you're trying. I found pureed pear worked well as it is nasturally sweet and they like the taste. Perhaps advocado with some milk? Baby rice with fruit?

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Thank you Strong for your information. My baby refuses to open her mouth to even taste what I have to offer so it cannot possibly be due to her dislike of the food being offered. She simply refuses to even taste what is on the spoon/on my finger. I am taking her to see a padiatrician tomorrow and hopefully will have an answer for his exasperating problem. I just wanted to see if any other moms had similar experience with their baby.

pokny is offline Registered User

hunger strike

momo,
    I've the same experiences w/ my boy when he was around 8-10 months old. One day he would eat nicely, 5 other days he would be on hunger strike! Thank Goodness he was willing to drink more of the formula. I talked to his PD and she said most kid go through this stage when they are teething. As long as she drinks a little more milk, she should be okay.
    The PD also recommended formula for kids who do not eat well. I don't remember the name for sure now, but I think it was "Pediasure". It's made by Similac/Abbott but is geared towards non-eating babies.

jdang is offline Registered User
    I have a pair of twin girls 7 mths old - while one would eat whatever given to her the other just love to be contrary. We usually sing nursery rhymes/make funny faces to her (the stubborn one!) or give her a toy/flashcard/ or anything to entertain her. It usually works - she finish her meal, not as fast as the sister but at least mealtime was not a battleground.

They take 5 feeds daily:
    1 solid (porridge wz fish & carrot)
    2 milk feed (mix wz steamed oats & cereal)
    2 milk feed (just plain milk)

Total milk intake about 18oz/540ml. Like all moms, I feel they need more milk but they seems to be healthy & thriving - their energy is boundless!

Jdang, how do you feed you twins the milk which has been mixed with solids? Do you use bottle? I have tried to distract my baby but nothing works. She cries and get very upset when I managed to "sneak" the spoon with food into her mouth and she would spit it out. I am at a loss as to what to do. Hopefully the paediatrician will provide some answer.

jdang is offline Registered User

Momo

I used Dr. Brown bottles wz the Y-Cut cereal teats. You probably wouldn't be able to put in a lot of cereal but I find it helpful & less troublesome when feeding a fussy baby.

BTW, my baby decided she doesn't like feeding fm the bottle anymore today. So I had to pour everything into a bowl & spoon feed her again. Sigh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2004-08-25 006.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	90  

svasbt is offline Registered User
    momo:

Sometimes our boy doesn't eat either, but he does drink a lot (of formula). When he was about 7-8 months, he drank between 800 & 960 ml. a day. Now at 18 1/2 months, he drinks 3 cups of 240 ml. daily. His weight is just a tad above average.

When he doesn't want to eat anything, he is still receptive to yoghurt. And we just have to be happy with that. We give him full-fat fruit yoghurt (even at dinnertime), and a lot of times can sneak small pieces of steamed apple in with it. We also give him a bowl of dry Cheerios to play with. And yes, some of them do end up in his mouth.

What did the PD say?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast