Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Health Insurance?

ozmaofoz is offline Registered User

Health Insurance?

My DH is a contractor with a work visa here in HK. We need to get our own health insurance. Can anyone recommend health insurance in HK? We can't sign a lengthy contract as there is always the possibility that we might go home in late Feb. What should we do?

Slee is offline Registered User
    Even if you were staying in HK for a few years I would recommend an international insurance policy. Instead of approaching lots of different insurers I used www.medibroker.com and they were fantastic. They researched and selected the cheapest policies for my age etc and sent me just that information - about five insurance companies. Given that you're from the States make sure that they know that you may need medical care from there permanently in the future (if this is true) as some companies may charge more.

rani is offline Administrator
    Oz,

You can also talk to a local broker. We bought our insurance from Kevin Ward [email protected]

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User
    Rani,

I am also looking for insurance and the one i am looking at now does not give full maternity coverage. 20% deductible and covers only up to $8500 USD. Did yours have full coverage with no cap?

rani is offline Administrator
    Avi,

Mine is the same. There is one company that covers 100% can't remember if its IHI or Interglobal.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Karishma is offline Registered User
    Rani/ Avi,

I have IHI and yes its the only insurance company i know of that covers 100% maternity!

Karishma.

Slee is offline Registered User
    Allianz UK covers 100% as well with a ten month waiting period. My Bupa policy covers £4,000 per annum for a normal delivery so if I fall pregnant in the last three quarters of the year I will be entitled to £8,000 all up! If I need an emergency cesearian, or any acute complication then the gloves are off and they will pay EVERYTHING!!!! William Russell and Morgan Price are another two good UK based insurers. I've forgotten which is which but one is the standard £4000 while the other covers £5,000 with no waiting period as long as you weren't pregnant when you joined and provided you pay for your first £1,000 of costs!

I found out about all of these policies through Medibroker so I really suggest you contact them. The broker that Rani mentioned has said on this forum that all my information is wrong but I had all the brochures and all the terms and conditions. UK co's really are a lot better and I know BUPA will cover non-emergeny medicial care in the US but you will have to pay a premium (emergency care is covered).