Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby has hiccups

Rosewood is offline Registered User

Baby has hiccups

Whats the best way to stop hiccups? My baby has them several times a day.

nykki is offline Registered User
    Hi Rosewood,

You could try Woodward's Gripe water. It's a very old remedy for loads of baby associated things - hiccups, teething, colic, etc. Very natural, no sugar or alcohol and it's fine from birth. Our paed says it doesn't really help, but it's the only thing that stopped our baby's hiccups which were frequent during her first 3 months.

It's available at Mannings and is pretty cheap - $25-30 a bottle.

jwang is offline Registered User
    Hi Rosewood,
    You can give your baby a sip of water/milk etc. You can also try giving your baby some gripe water (available from Watson's, I think).

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    When my first child was a newborn she often had hiccups. As new parents my husband and I were worried. I remember him telling me that to cure hiccups you should drink so he asked me to feed the baby again. It was only later that I realized that feeding her caused the hiccups in the first place!

By the time I had my fourth baby I realized that the hiccups upset me more than the baby. So unless your baby is in distress about the hiccups there isn’t too much to worry about.

Best wishes,
    Barb

Graham is offline Registered User
    Our nearly 3 month old son also has hiccups quite frequently (2-3 times a day) although the frequency is starting to decrease a bit now.

We've been told by our doctor and nurses at the baby clinic that hiccups are normal in babies. Even when Jeffrey was in the womb he used to hiccup a lot, which was really funny to feel.

I don't think there is anything you can realistically do to stop hiccups and if it's not distressing the baby, why bother?

Our little Jeffrey is never bothered by his hiccups. In fact we usually play a game that when he has hiccups, I also make exaggerated hiccup noises and pull funny faces for him, which always gets him smilling and laughing.

Graham

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    I'm surprised that babies having hiccups is causing so much distress. No offence it's just an observation. My mom along with my aunts and her mom and grandmom etc etc believe it's good for a baby to have hiccups. They kind of got worried if a baby didn't have atleast one episode per day :D Funny ain't it ? Consequently I never gave a second thought when my baby had hiccups but I could see that he didn't like it much as a baby. It was funny to see the little guy get annoyed every time it happened.

jdang is offline Registered User
    Hiccups are common in babies & generally don't last more than 1 or 2 minutes. Shouldn't be too worried if I were you.

Funny thing too, my MIL (mother-in law) use hiccups as cues from my twins that they need to 'potty'. They were 'potty' trained since 5 days old. Bless my MIL!

And now as they get older, they often get hiccups after laughing a lot. It's really funny watching them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scroll to top