Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby refusing both breast and bottle!

Graham is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all your replies, especially Sarah.

Here's some more info: -

My wife's milk supply is still fine. She can express about 9 ounces in 30 minutes on a good day.

Baby has never had a pacifier, we don't believe in them and he seems fine without one.

Baby has not started on solid food yet. We are not planning to start him on solids until 4 months at the earliest, or perhaps 6 months, we haven't exactly decided yet. He's only 3 months old now.

Baby is generally very happy and active. He smiles a lot and talks a lot in his baby language.

My wife has been avoiding spicy food, alcohol and anything with caffine. She is not on any medication. We haven't changed our soap or shampoo at all.

Baby is still weeing about 6 times per day. He's making solid waste on average once every 1 to 3 days. It used to be much more frequent, but as he's getting older the frequency is decreasing.

We haven't had his weight checked since his 2 month check-up, but we will be getting him weighed tomorrow (Wed 8th Sept).

The biggest changes in baby's routine recently is my parents returning to the UK about 2 weeks ago having visited us for nearly 3 weeks to see baby. And also my wife going back to shift work.

The thing that frustrates my wife and I is that when we started baby on a bottle he was fine for about 3 weeks with taking the bottle for 2 to 3 feeds a day and the breast for the other feeds, but now all of a sudden, he's getting really fussy and refusing both or as I mentioned in my first post, only drinking for 5 minutes or less at the breast or just taking between 1 to 2.5 ounces from the bottle.

Anyway, we will be seeing the doctor tomorrow morning to rule out any infection or illness. Wish me luck.

Graham

HKFooey is offline Banned
    My son has been fed from a combination of breast and bottle (EBM) since I returned to work when he was 15 weeks, he is now almost 1 year and still going strong with both.

However, he quite regularily goes on a bottle strike and will refuse to take much from a bottle. He just waits until I get home and then he is very fussy when I first give him the breast. It is a little easier now that he is on solids but we did not start solids until 7 mths and he did not really start to eat them until about 9 mths.

It is possible that your baby is getting mixed signals particularly if you wife offers him the breast at different times each day. I therefore suggest that you wife aims to breat feed him as soon as she gets home from work and sits somewhere calm and concentrates on him with no destractions. Perhaps spending time playing with him until he settles to the breast.

It is soooooooooo worthwhile keeping the breast feeding going and even though I have had some difficult times in teh last year I have no intention of weaning my son yet

Good luck

Kate is offline Registered User
    Graham,

You mentioned that you are using the avent teats with one hole, these are designed for newborn use and the avent website reccomends a medium flow teat with 3 holes for a 3 month old. I know that my 6 week old cannot get enough milk through the newborn teat and wriggles around in frustration as he is not satisfied.

I have attached a link to the website.

http://www.aventbaby.com/uk/products...one_teats.html

Actually, I made a mistake, it is the 2-hole Avent teats we have been using, not the 1-hole. Anyway, yesterday I picked up some of the Avent 3-hole teats which are recommended for 3 month+ old babies and tried them on Jeffrey last night. He still only drank 2.5 ounces, but he drank it much quicker, in 3 minutes as compared to the 10 minutes on average that it had been taking him with the 2-hole teats.

Anyway, we took Jeffrey to the Doctor this morning and he said that Jeffrey's ears and throat are fine, but that Jeffrey's nose was very blocked and this was causing Jeffrey to have a lot of wind which affected his appetite. We hadn't realised at all that Jeffrey's nose was blocked as his breathing sounds completely normal. Anyway, we got some nose drops as well as some other medecine to try to increase Jeffrey's appetite, so hopefully he'll start eating more soon.

Thanks again everybody for all your comments.

Graham

traceykwong is offline Registered User
    Graham

I am wondering if your baby could be teething or have an inflammed throat and hence the refusal for food and bottle.

If it's any consolation, my daughter didn't like food at that age either. Like you, we were worried but despite Claudia not taking solids, she thrived well on milk and was a healthy happy child.

Sometimes it could be psychological or your child might simply not be ready. My daughter is now 21 mths old and she only started to eat after she turned one. The amount was pathetic to begin with but over time, we managed more food in. She is also slowly learning how to appreciate different types of food.

I suppose you could see a paed to find out if your baby has a swallowing problem.

Hope all goes well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_0586.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	96  

traceykwong,

We had Jeffrey checked by our pead and his throat is fine. He's not teething yet also. Actually, my mother also wondered if perhaps he is teething early, but he's not.

The nose drops, medicine and vitamins our pead proscribed to unblock his nose and increase his appetite seem to be working so far (touch wood, cross fingers etc.) and he has been drinking more during the last 2 days, although the medicine seems to be making him very drowsy, as he's sleeping more than normal.

Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeffsept.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	97  

nikimom is offline Registered User
    Hi Graham,
    I really really feel for you. I gave my daughter expressed milk in Avent bottles and she has been fed very well, drinking a lot at 2.5 months (36oz a day). But then she started to fuss at both my breast and bottle, will never drink more than 2 or 3 oz unless she's half asleep. I also tried using no. 2 teats which has 3 holes..but failed.
    The problem is we went to see the doctor, he said she is happy and energetic, has even wet and solid nappies, and even said she could go without milk for a week for her weight ...he said her nose is very blocked and that she could be drinking a lot of air at the same time. So we gave her wind drops, heavy dose, and nasal drops and clear her nose every day at bath.

She seemed to be fine for the first two weeks, but then the problem has come back again. Its really killing me, she's now 4 months, and I'm so worried that she's not getting enuf (despite all the wet and solid nappies, happy smiles). I know she does not have ear, nose, throat infection and is not teething (which a lot of ppl suggested).

Just wanna know if your boy is more fussy if you carry him like cradle hold? Does he settle when you carry him up right? COs its the case for my daughter, she's just too gassy. If its the case for your boy, I just wanna warn you...burp him as often as possible, make sure he burped before you let him sleep. After these two months, I believe its the wind that she drinks caused the problem.

Still, wanna know if anyone can give me any advice, should I change bottle or teats?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12