Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pre-school in Kowloon

Sandrine is offline Registered User

Wink Pre-school in Kowloon

I'm looking for a pre-school for my daughter (she'll be 3 next year). As we live in Kowloon, I'm thinking about Australian International, Anfield, YMCA or Deborah. Anyone has kids studying there? May I have your comments please? Thanks.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

English Medium Preschools in Kln

If you have no objection to church run schools, you might want to try Kowloon Baptist.
    M & 1/F, 300 JUNCTION ROAD, KOWLOON TONG, KOWLOON
    Tel. 2336-6213
    According to the info. here, it costs about $HK 1,800 per month.
    http://www.childhood.com.hk/kg/kg2001/kg268.htm

According to here it costs HK$ 2,100 per month.
    http://www.hkedcity.net/school/kinde..._district_id=5

I had a friend who was not a Christian (she was Hindu, in fact) and she was quite pleased with the kindergarten, not too academic, with a good atmosphere.

When I lived in Tai Wai, I had a neighbor who sent her children to David Exodus Kindergarten. She also liked it quite a bit. So if you live on or near the area (Tai Wai, Sha Tin, Fo Tan) it's quite good.
    http://www.asiaxpat.com.hk/directory...at=204&id=4027

It's also church associated, but the neighbor I knew who sent her kids there wasn't a "churchy" type and she didn't mention any problem w/ religious instruction.

Re: English Medium Preschools in Kln

Thanks Loupou.

I've never thought of Kowloon Baptist because I've seen very little discussion about this School in the web. So thank you for raising it. I called the School yesterday. They said I could get an application form by mail and so I quickly sent them a request. The tuition is $2,200 x 10. The interview will be scheduled somewhere around March next year. I would have no objection to church run schools because we are Christian. I do would like to pay a visit to the school later to get a feel about it. I read in another forum that the Kowloon Baptist Kindergarten is a very good school too, 100% international. I'd like my child to learn thru play without piles of homework. Therefore I wouldn't go for traditional schools.

I'd consider YMCA because it's a Christian school and it's closer to where I live. I like Anfield because it has Mandarin 30 min. a day but it's not as close and is quite expensive too ($5300 x 10). I'd consider Australian International too because it has a primary section. Well Deborah is within walking distance to where I live. Some friends also suggested the International Christian School but it's a bit far. Since some schools accept application on a first-come-first-served basis, I might need to apply first and then decide later.

bijv is offline Registered User
    My daughter goes to YMCA International Kindergarten and I am quite happy, they learn thru play. The teachers are also good.
    Kowloon Baptist is a great school too but they dont focus on phonic much, but the children learn a lot through play.

Thanks bijv. I learnt that the supervisor and quite a few teachers of YMCA left in July this year to start their own business (another playgroup in TST). Does it affect the quality of the kindergarten?

How about their class size? They have max. 30 in a class. Does your daughter get enough attention? How does the teacher manage it? I mean when the children start talking and running around. I think the class size at Kowloon Baptist is also 30. Not sure if additional teachers are allocated to the class.

mary_spc is offline Registered User
    Side tracking a bit.....

Does anyone have any comments / experience on MONTESSORI preshcools in HK??? ( i think all are located on HK side, none in KLN).

Anyway i have read couple of books on their teaching and love the principles they promote for children ==> "help & teach your children to do things for themselves, rather than do it for them...."

Just wondering if possible for kids to go to MONTESSORI preschool & still join a maintain Chinese / Cantonese primary school afterwards??

ggrizzy is offline Registered User
    hi! u may want to try sunnyside kindergarden (near cox rd and jordan rd). they're very small, the building is quite old but the kids there enjoy the atmosphere alot (my friend's daughter has been there for a year and the first few weeks, she kept saying she will definitely transfer her daughter to another school the next year but she ended up letting her daughter staying because of how much her daughter enjoyed the surroundings and was learing a lot!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I've applied for both YMCA and Kowloon Baptist for my daughter and the interview should take place somewhere around March or April next year.

It has been our objective to put our daughter to an international school as we want her to learn thru play. To us, learning should be fun. We want her to love learning. Therefore we've never thought about putting her to local schools where the approach was more or less rote-learning and learning for exams.

Recently, my husband and I started thinking about learning Chinese. Being Chinese, we'd want our daughter to know the language, not only speaking but also reading and writing. We'd be happy if she could complete Grade 6 here and we plan to take her back to Canada for high school. This is very different from our original plan. Seems like we want our child to learn thru play and we want her to learn Chinese as well. But most international schools don't offer much Chinese. Should we put her to local school like St. Catherine's then? It's a hard decision for us. Any advice for us?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast