Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

creches/baby day care centres

MumtobeinHK is offline Registered User

creches/baby day care centres

Hello.

We'll be parents in a few months, and as we are both working, we would like to know whether there are any English speaking creches/day care centres for babies below 1 year old in HK.

Thanks for your answers,

loupou is offline Baby Guru

English speaking - I've never seen any. There are some for infants run in Cantonese (I remember seeing one in Kowloon Bay a couple of years ago).

I guess there are very few because the price of sending your baby to a creche is about the same as hiring a live-on helper and w/ a helper you get your clothes washed and meals prepared along w/ the baby care.

Graham is offline Registered User

I've also never seen or heard of any English speaking creches/daycare centers in HK. In fact I don't even recall seeing any Cantonese ones, but then again I haven't really looked. I don't think it is a concept that has really caught on in HK, with maids being so cheap.

Another option is that It does seem quite common for local HK Chinese women who have been out of the workforce for a while to offer a babycare service at their home, but ususally they will only look after 1 or maybe maximum 2 kids at once.

I agree that a live-in helper is the way to go. With both my wife & I working full-time, the helper is invaluable.

Graham

Selina is offline Registered User

Talking don't hire indonesia maid

some of u maybe right...hiring a maid is almost the same cost of putting yr baby in day care. let me share with u my story. at the beginning, i've the same thought as u did. but now, i changed my mind.

my baby is almost one year old but i already changed four maids. probably, u might guess that i'm too demanding. I don't think so...will u let yr maid to use a dirty handkerchief to clean yr baby mouth, will u allow yr maid to put a needle in yr baby bad after use? will u let yr maid who u don't trust to take care yr lovely baby? My maids didn't talk to my baby and just doing her work like a machine.

some people might feel that their baby will become less attention when they put them to baby center. on the other hand, baby may learn how to take care himself and how to being with other child.

so, i'm looking for baby care center.

good luck to u. but, i really recommend u don't hire the indonesia maid as their culture is very different.

brdgs, selina

momo is offline Registered User

I think it is a question of luck as to how your maid turns out. The indonesian maid I hired to look after my first born son did not talk or interact much with my son. I guess she did not have the temperament to be with children. I have a new Indonesian maid to look after my son (now 3) and daughter (now 1) and she is great with them, she sings, draws, fold papers, reads etc with them and I cannot be happier with the care my children receives from her.

loupou is offline Baby Guru

List of Creche's from Social Welfare Dept.

If you go to the Social Welfare Dept.'s webpage, you can find an Excel Document that lists the licensed childcare facilities. Then, do a "ctrl-f" for "creche". They are are arranged by location.

http://www.swd.gov.hk/doc/downseclist/EHS_OCCC0506.xls

Here is a website for creche's sponsored by the Hong Kong Society for the Protection of children
    http://www.hkspc.org/eng/centre/daycreche/

Creche is for children under 2 year's old. "Nursery" is for children over 2.

I think I had a friend back in '93 or '94 who sent her son to a boarding creche and picked him up on the weekends. But, I forget the name of it.

Last edited by rani; 12-26-2006 at 06:14 PM.

kashismum is offline Registered User

Loupou has listed the only government-provided creche facilities in Hong Kong, though they are not English speaking. Also, they are to support low-income families and the waiting lists are long otherwise.

Po Leung Kuk is another you can consider - again not English speaking - but they do have all-day care for a reasonable cost (around $4k/month for under 2s). In Causeway Bay.

HappyV is offline Registered User

I don't think 'Indonesian' maids are are worse than 'Chinese', 'Western' or 'Martian' employers. If you want a maid whose culture is the same as your own, you need to be prepared to fork out the $$ to pay for one. Otherwise, you play the employer/employee lottery - just like any other hiring/firing relationship.

Honestly, if I got on here and said "Don't work for Chinese employers", I'd get absolutely slated. But don't hire 'Indonesian' maids is let go with no judgement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM