Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Antenatal Classes:attend Or Not Attend

drcookie is offline Registered User

I am in the process of booking antenatal classes and really wondered similar to everyone else. Is it worth it. I am slightly unusual in that I am trained as a GP and have paediatric and obstetric experience, so am not so much interested for the technical side. It is more a case of how useful is it for husbands and as a way of meeting people? Also things like baby massage I am assuming can be done elsewhere.

Any thoughts especially on Annerley before I pay. If you didn't need the practical info would you go?

Thanks so much for any help.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I didn't go to any classes at all but then I had a lot of help after the birth. As to hubby, maybe it would be helpful for them. My hubby doesn't change nappies etc. but then he hardly has time.

cda is offline Banned
    hong kong
    Definitely attend a class. To meet other new mums to be. You will value contact with them when your new baby is here.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    I went to the classes at Tsan Yuk, which were a bit outdated. I did the rest of my research on the Net and books. If you want to meet other Expectant Moms then join one of our Due Date clubs. Heard from the Nov 06 Moms, that quite a few went into labor around the same time and they were all in the Matilda together.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

aldougie is offline Registered User
    Talking of husbands having never been around children my husband was somewhat nervous at the thought of being responsible for a tiny baby so I arranged for Yvonne Heavyside to run a baby basics course at our home for him. It was really useful for him and she did a great job of calming his nerves so for first time dads I'd really recommend something like this.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Many mothers I've spoken to think that classes about the time after the baby has arrived have been very benefical.

This spring LLL in Hong Kong is offering the chance to take a Breastfeeding Class at a convenient location in Central. The three hour class is aimed at pregnant mothers and covers all the essentials you need to know about breastfeeding for your stay in the hospital and the early weeks at home.

A recent study reported in the January issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology stated that a single antenatal counselling session with educational materials improved breastfeeding practices up to three months after delivery.

The details of the classes are:
    Date: Wednesday February 7th 2007 or Wednesday April 11th 2007
    Time: 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
    Venue: Annerley Midwives, 1801,Car Po Commercial Building, 18-20 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central, HK
    Cost: $400 per couple including a copy of LLLI's book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
    Details of the class are available at

Please encourage all your pregnant friends to attend.

Best wishes,
    web site:
    Last edited by rani; 01-25-2007 at 07:48 AM.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    We attended classes at the Adventist Hospital in September 2006, I also knew a lot of stuff from books and the Net but it was lovely to go with my hubby and get him informed plus we got to chat to other couples going through the same thing, and it was something to look forward to whilst struggling with pregnancy (i was carrying twins). I found the midwife running this class to be excellent, very informative and patient. Plus they give you samples of things (wet wipes etc.), 4 lessons of 2 hours each HK$1000

premama is offline Registered User
    Has anyone attended the ante-natal classes at Adventist? Would it be advisable to take the classes at the hospital you're delivering at?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast