Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Antenatal Classes:attend Or Not Attend

kyliedee is offline Registered User

Antenatal Classes:attend Or Not Attend

Hi, Im a first time mom and my practitioner had mentioned something about attending an antenatal classes at cannossa (hope i spelled it right) hospital, since we live close to it.

The thing is, I am not really convinced whether i should attend. Is there any compelling reason for me to do so? What insight would i get from attending these classes that i cannot get from the internet? (like geobaby forums)What are the topics they normally discuss aside from breast feeding and breathing exercises?

Would these classes really help me or can i just go without?

Thanks.

Graham is offline Registered User
    My wife and I attended antenatal classes at Canossa last year in April or May, before our first child was born.

The classes are pretty cheap. If I recall correctly, they are only about HK$700 for 6 lessons. Each lesson runs for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and is taught by either a mid-wife, doctor, physiotherapist or dietician, depending on the class content of the lesson that week.

Some of what we learned was useful, some not so, but I do recommend taking an antenatal class, as I personally feel that it is useful to learn as much as possible from as many different sources as possible if you are a first time parent.

While it's true that you can learn a lot from reading books or the internet, an antenatal class does allow you a good opportunity to ask questions face-to-face with the mid-wives, doctors, physiotherapists and dieticians who teach the classes. Plus you get a bit of hands-on practice with some of the things you learn, which you don't get with online or book reading.

Some of the things they taught at the Canossa antenatal class are: -

• Diet advice.
    • Massage techniques (for the husband to massage the wife).
    • How to bath a baby.
    • How to change diapers.
    • How to pick up and hold a baby.
    • Breathing exercises and other exercise during pregnancy.
    • Relaxation exercies.
    • What to expect during pregnancy
    • Breast feeding advice and techniques.

There was other stuff we learned, but it slips my mind at the moment.

I'd say overall I was glad we took the class. We were both pretty clueless before about even basic stuff. I mean I even had no idea about the correct way to pick up and hold a baby before I took the class!

Graham

benjy is offline Banned
    Hello!
    For my first child I attended pre-natal classes back in Europe (8 sessions free of charge) given a private midwife in a small group of 3/4 other women and I quite enjoyed most of all the 'relaxing atmosphere' of it. since it was my first child, I only enjoyed any advice given.
    For this one, I will not attend anything since I was told that there wasn't anything in English (I'm not in HK). So I bought a book with the attention to do some exercices at home but to be honest, being working full time until the delivery, I rarely do it..
    So by attending a class, it obliges you at least to take this time to rest and relax..

for the rest, advice on breastfeeding and how to take care of your baby, no need to attend prenatal classes .. everything is available in the net indeed..

take good care!
    benjy

thanks so much for taking time to answer my query. I think i would pass by Canossa one of these days and check out what antenatal classes they offer and if they have it in English.

Graham is offline Registered User
    kyliedee,

Yes Canossa Hospital does offer Antenatal classes in English. However, they need to have at least 5 English speaking couples signed up before they will run a class in English, so it's best to put your name down ASAP.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    kyliedee,

Yes Canossa Hospital does offer Antenatal classes in English. However, they need to have at least 5 English speaking couples signed up before they will run a class in English, so it's best to put your name down ASAP.

Graham

really? Aiyah!

aldougie is offline Registered User
    Annerley Midwives and The Matilda also run ante-natal courses. No matter what info you get on the net I think attending classes in person is really useful for all the reasons that Graham stated plus it is a really good way to start networking. Also if you are going to breastfeed I would suggest heading to a La Leche meeting - for most women breastfeeding doesn't come naturally and it is really good to meet with the experts and get to know other women who can help and support you.

Rosewood is offline Registered User

Red face

I attended antenatal classes at Cannosa, they covered the following:

1) Antenatal Care and changes in Pregnancy
    2) Postnatal Care & Infant Care (Bathing and Feeding)
    3) Breathing Exercise in Labour
    4) Antenatal Exercise & Backcare
    5) Diet for Mother and Infant Care nutrition
    6) New Born Common Problems and Treatments

The only classes I found useful were the practical classes - the exercise classes 3) & 4) plus 2) the bathing and feeding class. The rest I already knew these from books and the internet, so I yawned my way through those classes, particulary since they were run in the evening after work.

I do think its worthwhile attending, particularly if you are a first time mum. You can also ask for a tour of the maternity unit. It has recently been refurbished so I've heard.
    Last edited by Rosewood; 10-16-2004 at 12:14 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast