Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Yet another OB question!

Slee is offline Registered User

Smile Yet another OB question!

Sorry to sound like an old cracked record but has anyone had any experience with Dr Dawkins? So far he is the only OB I haven't heard bad things about.

In addition, if anybody has used Hulda as a doula at Matilda could they please tell me whether it was worth doing. Was she able to make sure the midwives did what you wanted to do? I've got full insurance cover but don't want to crowd out the room with too many people!

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I used Dr Dawkins. He was very friendly and laid back. You need to make sure you have all your questions ready for him as he tends not to offer anything unless asked. Dr Dawkins didn't actually deliver my daughter as he was away on a conference. Sally Ferguson delivered her and she was brilliant. Assertive in a good professional way, giving advice and explaining things very clearly, which is just what I needed as I actually met her for the first time mid contraction, just as my daughter was about to be born and she was brilliant.
    I also used Hulda. She was absolutely FANTASTIC. We live in Discovery Bay and Hulda timed the trip across on the ferry to the Matilda to perfection. She is superb in the delivery room, offering the right advice at just the right time. She is not overbearing and responds completely to your needs. She also worked very well with my husband. As you can probably tell I can't recommend Hulda enough. Both Sally Ferguson, Hulda and my husband working together ensured that I had exactly the birth that I wanted.
    I hope that helps with making your decision and good luck

Jools

Grace Bellis is offline Registered User

Dr. Dawkin

Dr. Dawkin delivered my daughter 15 months ago. It took me a little while to get used to his style and started liking him as my doctor. He's laid back but professional. I agree that you'd need to prepare your questions before going to see him. I was going to have natural delivery, but ended up having c-section. He did a great job for me.

Slee is offline Registered User
    Thank you ladies, that is very reassuring.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I loved Dr Dawkins style. He doesn't bombard you with information you don't know, but is extremely helpful when you ask questions. He's not a worrier, if you know what I mean. He takes everything in his stride and I find that extremely reassuring. I'll certainly be using him again.

I also loved Hulda, but didn't use her as a doula, just for home visits after the birth of my daughter. She was great. The midwives at Matilda are fantastic and I didn't think I needed anyone else. Having said that, if I was planning an all natural birth, maybe I would consider a doula. But I planned on an epi the minute I arrived at the hospital and that is about what happened.

I think you've made brilliant choices and will be very happy with both of them.