Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speech Delay?

Discoverybay is offline Banned

Unhappy Speech Delay?

Hi, My son is not talking yet, he is 2 years old...any comments to share?
    Thanks. Worry mother...

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    It must be distressing to you but I assure you it is not abnormal. I know my cousin didn't say his first word till he was 3 ! He just pointed at things and my aunt was sure he wouldn't. Took him to doctors etc but they couldn't find anything wrong. And then everything was fine when he turned 3.
    If you want you can rule out anything that might cause speech problems by visiting the doctor. Does he respond to you when you talk to him..does he seem to have hearing problems ? Does he otherwise make himself understood when he wants something ? Does he babble ?

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I have also found from experience that some children delay speaking because they can get what they need making noises and pointing; in their eyes 'what is the need for speech?'. I would reiterate a trip to the doctors to rule everything out and put your mind at rest. In the mean time sing him lots of songs and explain everything that is going on in words, so that he not only gets used to the words for things but also the patterns in language. Hope that helps

Jools

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Neither of my boys spoke before they were two but they can both talk OK now. I was lucky and didn't worry because my brother also didn’t speak before he was two and so I had this role model for my sons.

My youngest child also didn’t speak much as a two year old but she walked at nine months. Her best friend was just the opposite by two she was talking in sentences but didn’t walk until she was 18 months. Now they are both four years old and both can walk and talk – non-stop sometimes!

Best wishes,
    Barb

Discoverybay is offline Banned
    Hi Moms,

Thank you so much for all the answers, I was very very worry...I know all the kids are develop different ways...this is my story begins, around this summer, we went home to US for a holiday, one day, a friend of mine came to visit us, and when she called my son, he did not responded to her, so she asked me, is my son has autism, because he was play alone and did not give her any eye contact. And then I was terrified, I was stressed and begin paranoid, I went to library and internet to search all about the autism...until we came back to Hong Kong and I took him to a doctor, we got my son's hearing test, it was normal. And then we were referral to Speech therapist for 3 classes already. A bit progress on babbling. I read a lots of books to him, plays games and labeling some words...My son goes to playgroup 3 times a week, he is doing fine. He likes painting, music and a very affectionate little boy and a very gentle to others as well. BUT he does not much pointing on things and give us very little eye contacts. He loves play with daddy and he comes to me when he need something...other than that, He is eating very healthy, and he was breastfed till 7 months old. He plays well himself and with others. He was walking by 9 months old. Everybody has been telling me that early walker will be talk later.... I don't know. I wish I could help him...BUT how???

(BTW, sorry for my poor English....)

lynn cheung is offline Registered User
    I don't know anything about speech delay, and my son's only one year old. He can say only about 8 words. The rest is babbling.
    I want to share about making eye contact. This is what works for us. Whenever I want him to look at me, I just say to him, "Andrew, look at mama." Then I'll wait for him to look at me and then tell him what I want. Or, if he's still busy with something and I want his attention on me, I'll pick him up and put him in front of me while saying "look at mama." It takes a while but now every time I say "look at mama," he'll look at me.

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi Discovery Bay,
    I'm sorry to hear that you are so worried. I'm not sure how helpful your friend was for suggesting that your son may be autistic. I am a primary school teacher with 11 years experience and have worked with many autistic children. It is very rare for an autistic child to be identified just because they don't give you eye contact. There are alot of things to look out for (there is alot of information on the internet). Autism is a complex disorder that shows itself in many different ways, from children who have a mild case who get confused in social situations to children who cannot deal with interactions with others and actually have quite violent rages. There must be some information about autism in Hong Kong: I seem to remember reading an article in the free DB magazine from a mother of an autistic child so it might be worth hunting through past copies of this.

Again from my teaching experience and my own two, children often don't look at you because they are engrossed in something else. I remember my husband questioning whether our son was deaf because he didn't respond to him clicking his fingers. I was frantic and carried my son in to the kitchen and scared him to death by crashing the pots around to see if he could hear them.

I know it's easy to say don't worry. You seem to be doing all the right things. I would just keep going. My own brother didn't speak properly until he went to school at the age of 5, when he had to speak to make himself understood.

Hope that helps

Jools

rani is offline Administrator
    DiscoveryBay,

D sounds very similar to your son. He started sitting (5months) and walking (11 months) early, and is only now trying to talk at 2 years and 4 months. So your theory on early walker, late talker may be right. Also he gets so engrossed in playing with his cars/trucks he totally ignores us. His teacher at playgroup noticed this too and makes eye contact with him first before instructing him to do something. Now he's so excited to learn new words, he's always asking us what things are and tries to repeat the new words. So please don't worry your son will soon be doing the same soon. Hang in there!

I also think most boys are lazy and if they can get away with pointing etc they will....my 2 cents.
    Last edited by rani; 10-24-2004 at 10:11 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast