Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where to buy maternity bras?

kiwimum2b is offline Registered User

Where to buy maternity bras?

Hi! Can anyone please tell me where I can buy (western sized) maternity bras in HK? I tried M&S but they don't stock them.
    Thanks

rani is offline Administrator
    Kiwi

We're selling the Belly Bra on ShopinHK.Com which is great in your final trimester.

http://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?...cat=275&page=1

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

jane01 is offline Registered User
    You can get them in Mothercare (not larger sizes) and Bumps & Babes (incl larger sizes). Neither has a huge range of styles. I like:

http://zodee.com.au/section/home/

for the range and they ship overseas, but of course you can't try them on !

Slee is offline Registered User
    I bought Elle McPhersen bras online from Figleaves.com - you obviously can't try them on but they arrive within five days and they will exchange them and even include a s.s.a.e. for you to do so. Alternately, you could ask someone in NZ to send them to you. They are pretty stretchy but still very supportive so it's pretty hard to find one that is a bad fit! I bought a huge variety of bras - about six different sorts and the worst was from Bumps to Babes and the best was Elle MacPhersen's.

Lia
    Lia is offline Registered User
    I did see some nice plain, non-underwire bras in Attitudes (L5, Winsome House, 73 Wyndham Street, Central). From memory they were around HKD250-300.

Does anyone have advice on WHEN to buy maternity bras? I don't want to splash out now (at 30 weeks) if I'm just going to get bigger later on.

Thanks

L

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I had mine fitted in Australia at about 30 weeks. The attendants there were able to estimate how much bigger you were going to get. If I was doing it on my own, I'd do it at about 35 weeks and leave a bit of room. You do get a lot bigger when your milk first comes in, but they settle down in a couple of weeks. Well, that was my experience anyway.

Personally, for the larger woman I would only recommend a maternity bra - ie the ones that clip down for easy feeding. The few times I wore a normal bra, I found it really difficult. Might just be me?

I wouldn't wait until the baby comes - you'll be too busy and too tired. Do it now whilst you have time !

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    The advice I was given when pregnant and buying nursing bras was that after the baby was born the measurement around my body would likely decrease but the cup size would increase. This is because the rib cage expands during pregnancy to accommodate the increased size of the heart and the baby - this reduces once the baby is born. However, when the milk comes in the actual size of the breasts will increase because of the increase in fluid – this is increase in blood as well as milk, which is why the size decreases again after a couple of weeks.

I found the following page, Bra Fitting Guidelines by Medela, http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/brafit.html
    It seems quite comprehensive with photos which I think can save a thousand words!

Generally everyone advises against unwire bras when breastfeeding but they are popular in Hong Kong, especially amongst mothers with smaller breasts.

Also I would avoid the type that just as a whole for the nipple to poke through in the first weeks when the breasts change size so much. This type can give problems if they are too tight. So wait to use them until the baby is about four or five weeks old and the size of your breasts is unlikely to change so much.

Best wishes,
    Barb

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I have enjoyed the YES bra which has been mentioned in another post on this site. If you contact Christie via details posted elsewhere on this forum, she can give you a virtual fitting and she even sent me two sizes so I could try both and return one of them. They go up to very large sizes.

I have found that it's not an exact science though, estimating your bra size in advance. Some people are OK with only one cup size bigger than their normal size, but others' breasts balloon up to three cup sizes larger. I would advise buying only one or two (I have a couple that were fitted by "experts" but have been unwearable), write down details and keep handy so that you can despatch somebody to get another one, or a bigger size in case that's needed. Don't underestimate the fact that engorgment, although usually temporary in the first month, can be painful if your bra is too tight; you will rather go without a bra than have something constricting them if they are tender, but the weight of your breasts will definitely need support!

Those bra extenders that you might have used in pregnancy are good after birth, too; what ended up being my perfect bra (one I bought in the UK) was too tight on the band for only the first week or two after I gave birth, and it ended up being the only bra I could wear when I was engorged.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast