Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pre-school/playgroup and a 2 year old?

svasbt is offline Registered User
    jane01:

I think the classes at the Community Center are pretty much what you're looking for. Junior is still in the 1 1/2 - 2 years old class, so I can't say much about the 2-3 years old classes. But I can tell you about my boy's class. The under 2 years old session is for one hour. And within the one hour, the teacher divides it into 4 different quarters. The first quarter is for free play. The kids play together and learn to share toys, take turns, and tidy up at the end. The 2nd quarter is music time. They learn to use different kinds of simple musical instruments, dance to the songs (in English and Cantonese), and even learn new words through the songs. The 3rd session varies. On Mondays it's Art time, Wednesdays Story time, and Fridays Learn through Play time. We love the Art time in particular. The last 15 minutes, the kids sit down to have snacks together. The Center provides snacks, and we bring our own drinks. They learn to wash their hands before eating, take turns to serve one another, feed themselves, and tidy up after the meal. There are times that one or more kids are cranky in the class, but the parent/guardian will take care of her own charge. You pay monthly at the beginning of the month. It comes out to only $50 per session if you're a member of the Center. If you're not, it's $55. I highly recommend that you become a member as it only costs $50 a year for a family membership. Plus the Center offers different classes for older kids and adults, including oil painting and Chinese painting classes.

I'm not associated with the Center, just one of the moms that is thankful for the services it offers at a very reasonable price.

Vivian is offline Registered User
    svasbt

Hi, the class you described sounds very attactive. do you know if they have branches in other locations such as Ma On Shan?

Vivian

svasbt is offline Registered User
    Vivian:

I don't know whether they have other locations around HK but sure hope they do. Their contact number in D.B. is 2987-8780. I'm sure they can give you more info.

jools is offline Registered User

Smile

Hi Jane 01,
    I like your soap box. What a great way of putting it. You're absolutely right children need to learn through actual experiences, there is plenty of time to let them grow and be children, before us teachers get hold of them and teach them how to read and spell DOG.

Jools

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    My 2 cents:
    While I agree there is no hurry to teach children to read and spell from the age of 2 it also depends on the school you've chosen for your child. My son started nursery at 2and1/2 and he absolutely loves it. It gives me a bit of free time and he gets social interaction with other kids which he really needs. I used to take him for playgroups but he wanted nothing to do with other kids or the teacher and Mommy had to play with him all the time. Taking him to the park..same thing mommy play with me ! He is a shy kid and I felt he would benefit from mommy's absence and i was so right. His 3 hours at school go like this..first 50 mins of free play then snack time. They learn to wash their hands before eating and clear away their plates etc after snack time. Then it's arts and crafts time. He keeps bringing home such cute stuff and the pride on his face when he shows them to me :) THey do colouring and painting. Then they have music and dance time. They end the session with story time. The teacher reads out a story to them and then they sing the goodbye song and are ready to go home. They don't teach alphabets, no pencil control. He's learning everything through actual experiences..no sitting at a table and chair like when I went to kindergarten !The school sends home a story book every week that we read together. They don't bring home any homework. They celebrate festivals and birthdays. I made the decision to put him in school because I felt he needed it and more importantly was ready for it. The 3 hours of seperation from Mommy was what he needed. I doubt though if he was just 6 months younger I would have put him in school. 6 months make a lot of difference in such a young child right ? But having said that the school also has the local curriculum for kids (My son is in the international class) those kids have to deal with homework and loads of writing etc. Can't really blame them they have to prepare the kids for the local primary schools.

Vivian is offline Registered User
    svasbt

thanks for the information. i called the centre and it's a pity they don't have other branches. If I cant' find a suitable play group for my daughter, maybe will send her to the nursary. I'll check with the shool if the kids under 3 need to do homework and writing. I think it's crazy to train small kids to write.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    scr - OMG there are 2 year olds who have homework ???????? I think that is absolutely dreadful. When do they get to be children? I would be really concerned that the poor little things will burn out before they get anywhere in life. I really feel sorry for these poor children.

Your son's school (the international section) sounds great. I absolutely understand where you are coming from - 6 months makes such a difference in a child's life. Perhaps my daughter will be ready to leave me at 2.5, who knows? (more like I won't be ready to leave her!). I agree that if the child is ready, leave them. I just don't see the rush when they are not ready and I suspect lots of 2 year olds aren't.

Homework at 2 years old?????? I am still recovering from that one.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User
    Hi Jane,

I must confess that I really don't know the local curriculum well..I don't know when exactly the homework starts but I know it starts in kindy itself. My son will not have homework for the next 3 years while he is in this kindergarten. But the kids doing the local curriculum do have homework..not sure if it starts from the begining. I guess they begin to teach them the chinese characters or something ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast